Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty much set on what my next mod will be. I don't think I'll have the $$$ to do it until maybe this summer but I want to get a feel of what is available and what issues I need to address.

First off, I hear high compression pistons and turbos don't work well. I'm assuming I will need to revert back to my stock piston? Currently using a 11:1 flat top piston...

Secundo, most turbos I have seen have a very exposed air filter and that won't work for me. I ride trails and often end up getting caught in the rain with water and light mud flying all over so I need my air filter to be somewhat protected. A simple pre-filter ain't enough, I need some kind of box or something similar to protect it from debris. Is there a turbo kit out there that addresses this issue? My current setup is stock air box, open lid, pro-design + K&N w/ pre-filter and works fine, I'm not taking in any mud. I do get some water in the air box but it just washes down the drain and doesn't get to the engine.

Last but not least, the laws around here are pretty stiff about noise. I'm already over the top with my quietcore'd Barker duals and I haven't had any trouble yet, but I much prefer a more quiet ride than a loud, over the top ride. Most turbo setups I see are just a straight 4-6" pipe going down the side. Not only is that not discreet enough for my needs look-wise, I also assume these things will break the glasses of neighboring houses if I hit the throttle.

So, is there a turbo kit out there that has a trail-friendly air intake AND a relatively quiet exhaust?

I'm willing to sacrifice some power for all that of course... I'm not the kind of guy that will be constantly pushing the turbo to get 100+hp... I wouldn't mind setting it up to like 80 hp and leave it there, that's fine by me. I also want reliability, so I'm not going to run insane boost and end up blowing up my engine every other month.

·
Registered
544 Posts
this has been talked about for a while and honestly, no one has designed a true turbo kit for the conditions you talk about, the most that happens is routing the air filter up and ontop of the front fender area to try and "block" it from getting covered in mud.

As far as sound goes, my straight 6" pipe coming off my turbo is relatively moderate, its quieter than my dual LTE's were, and I know lucas (english racing) has made a nice frame mount muffler for a few guys that want it even quieter and it seems to from the video's i hear compared to mine.

I think lucas and a few others have run 11:1 pistons with E98 and 20 lbs of boost, so depending on the fuel you use, and the boost you run, you can probably get away with keeping the piston you have as long as the tune is good. The sound will not break glass even when popping off the rev limiter just so you know, and 80rwhp will be relatively easy for any of the kits out there.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mine is strait pipe dumping right out of the turbo and it is about as loud as the stock exhaust. Turbos quiet down the exhaust. Your compression would make the turbo setup more snappy but would have to run less boost depending on fuel. Switch back to a stock cam, too much valve overlap in that stag 2. JVR has a trail setup, but im sure all the other guys would probly use a similar design if requested.

·
Registered
544 Posts
easy is an understatement when you're making 90rwhp. Plus you're removing stock exaust or dual exhaust so weight isn't even noticeable

·
Registered
896 Posts

If I was going to get a trail turbo I would want this type of setup

·
Registered
544 Posts
any company can do that.

Turning up the boost can be done a few different ways depending on how you have it setup.

With "internal" waste gate turbo's you can have a vacuum boost controller that is adjusted via knob or just increase the pressure on the spring by adding spacers.

Some internal bb turbo's have an adjustable wastegate rod that you adjust with two nuts.

External wastegates can have the spring changed out and also in combination with a boost controller which runs off vacuum

·
Registered
149 Posts
I won't be able to let you know until this spring, but I will be setting up my turbo bike for trail riding this spring. ER did a custom intake for me (which I will shield a bit better for mud) and will be doing a custom exhaust.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts