Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tell me what you think.

the setup is a custom exhaust from the stock header back to a garrett GT25R BB. I know its big but i dont care, ive had fun with this project. It also has a RFL BOV.

Ive still got some questions on how to tap into the oil sytem. any one have any ideas??

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
GT25R :eek: Looked a while back and a GT12 or 15 would have been about the right size.

For an oil tap try the return line, the one in the top of the tank, might have enough pressure. The two hard line on the motor are the trans and head and the oil pump only makes about 8psi. using thoes could get ugly.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The thing about turbo's is that you need an oil line that has pressure to the turbo, and lets the oil drain back. If you use a line that is normally pressized all the time it will blow by the turbo seals and burn oil. Best thing to do is build your own oil system just for the turbo.

Also how come you didn't mount the turbo closer to the engine? From the looks of it you could have quite a bit of lag. Especially trying to spoll up that large of a turbo. Might need a little nitrous to get things moving quicker.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
it wont hurt to be back that far. look at the turbo yamai sleds. look how far back those turbos are from the motor, about 4 ft and they say they dont have that much turbo lag

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey i know its been awhile but i had a question. Well to start off we got the oil problems fixed by getting the turbo its own pump and resevoir. The hold up now however is that we may have some carb problems. I dont know if the type of carb that comes on the raptor is capable of boost, but if it actually can hold boost what size jet should we put in to handle about 5 psi? If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Are you using the stock carbs? The problem you are more than likely seeing is because of the stock crabs. The slides open and closed based off of vaccum from the engine. You now have pressure instead of vaccum.

There are a few ways to get around this problem.
A. Buy a set of FCR carbs.
B. Modify the stockers to work properly.
C. EFI

If it was me I would modify the stockers to work. Its pretty simple. Jet size is hard to nail down. This is something you will just need to mess with. I'm not sure how familiar you are with turbo's, and applications with carbs but everyone has to learn some where.

If you have anymore questions I will need more details on your setup before I can tell you what exactly you need to change to make it work, but it is in fact possible to use those carbs with boost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats great to hear, thanks for your response. How exactly would i go about modifying the carb to work under pressure? Thanks again

·
Registered
204 Posts
How do you have the intake system routed? Is there a tube straight from the turbo into the back of the carbs? If so you will more than likely have problems with bogging when you pin the throttle open. You need to run into an air plentium and then into the carbs. Also have you pressurized the bowls? If not this is why you are seeing problems once you are under boost. Let me know how you routed things and I can probably point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the intake system is routed straight to the carbs and we have not pressurized the bowls (not really sure what you mean by this).

·
Registered
204 Posts
You will need to build an air plentium. With out one if you wick open the carb quickly it will bog, because there is no air for it to suck into the engine since the turbo hasn't spooled up yet. The air plentium allows the engine to suck in the air stored in the plentium while the turbo is trying to catch up.

To pressurize the bowls you will need to run a line from the intake side of the carb air supply into the fuel bowls on the carbs. This equalizes pressure. If you don't do this the boost pressure actually forces the gas out of the carbs instead of sucking it up. It sounds like this is the first time you have ever built a turbo system. There is a lot more to it than bolting up a turbo. Then their is even more to it if you want the system to perform well, and consistently......

I would read up on turbo applications. There is a weath of knowledge out there.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
daaammmnnnn thats a clean trubo set up!!! i wonder if it's pre fab.....and could it be intercooled???

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
There are way cheaper methods of making your rappy fast than a turbo for 3800 euro. Might as well sell your quad and buy a 700 for that much

·
Registered
37 Posts
DECEPTiON21 said:
There are way cheaper methods of making your rappy fast than a turbo for 3800 euro. Might as well sell your quad and buy a 700 for that much
The kit on the link is for a 700

1 - 20 of 20 Posts