Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I really am considering a turbo but then I thought maybe an R1 engine. Any info about price difference and power difference is helpful. A turbo you have to upgrade a lot of stuff but then you have to modify the frame for an r1. As well ive heard turboed raptors are faster when they spool up.
Just something im interested in.....Its gonna take a minute to save up since im 15 lol.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
There is no comparison between a turbo 700 and an R1...the R1 will outrun it, it won't even be anywhere close...at all.
And, for anyone who wants to argue that a 700 with a 40psi turbo, blah, blah, blah...well, that would be a grenade.
That high boost, single cylinder will be lucky to go much over 100mph(with correct gearing), vs a bike engine that's capable of 186mph(a little more with limiter removed and perfect conditions).
The R1 will ride easy, and you will have no idea how much power you're riding. Most all 1000's are very tame below 6k rpm(redlining at 10k-13k rpm).
It also will not run hot, or have problems from high boost(as it has none).
I have owned and ridden many sportbikes over the years, and came very close to putting a gsxr1k in a 660 and a 500 Quadracer.
Cost was not bad at all, as a running, wrecked 1k can be had for $2k or less. My Dad can do the welding and fab, which is not a dramatic frame modification.
Chain alignment is critical.
Most 1k conversions I've seen use a custom gas tank under the rear of the seat. And, there are several creative ways to route the exhaust.
There's a UK company that puts R1's in 700's and makes them street legal.
I forget their name, but they show up in a google search.
Lastly, I'm 43, a bike and speed junkie...and remember 15.
I was probably still invincable another 15 years after that.
I was seriously about to start a gsxr1k 660 with my Dad a few years ago, but reconsidered.
Reason being, I'm a trail rider
Don't get me wrong either, the faster the better, but a 1k is Dangerous in the woods, and it hurts me and makes me feel all grown up saying that, lol.
Until you have experienced 1kcc 4cylinder, 150-180+whp acceleration, you have no idea how quick it is, and how easy it is to spin out, or grip, and rocket up 20-30mph in seconds.
Fun? Absoloutely! But much easier to rip around on pavement on 2 wheels(or one, lol), than to risk that in tight spaces, because if I'm riding that, I'm rippin it with everything it's got. And, no matter who you are, eventually you'll run out of skill, lol!

And, The Most Important thing to learn about riding a sportbike or sportquad, is suspension setup/sag set correctly for the rider.
If it is not, it will not handle correctly, and you have very little control and limited braking ability.
Learn sag, and practice braking/emergency stopping.
Hp is great, the more the better, but without control, it's useless.

Good luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no comparison between a turbo 700 and an R1...the R1 will outrun it, it won't even be anywhere close...at all.
And, for anyone who wants to argue that a 700 with a 40psi turbo, blah, blah, blah...well, that would be a grenade.
That high boost, single cylinder will be lucky to go much over 100mph(with correct gearing), vs a bike engine that's capable of 186mph(a little more with limiter removed and perfect conditions).
The R1 will ride easy, and you will have no idea how much power you're riding. Most all 1000's are very tame below 6k rpm(redlining at 10k-13k rpm).
I have owned and ridden many sportbikes over the years, and came very close to putting a gsxr1k in a 660 and a 500 Quadracer.
Cost was not bad at all, as a running, wrecked 1k can be had for $2k or less. My Dad can do the welding and fab, which is not a dramatic frame modification.
Most 1k conversions I've seen use a custom gas tank under the rear of the seat. And, there are several creative ways to route the exhaust.
I was seriously about to start a gsxr1k 660 with my Dad a few years ago, but reconsidered.
Don't get me wrong either, the faster the better, but a 1k is Dangerous in the woods, and it hurts me and makes me feel all grown up saying that, lol.
Until you have experienced 1kcc 4cylinder, 150-180+whp acceleration, you have no idea how quick it is, and how easy it is to spin out, or grip, and rocket up 20-30mph in seconds.
Fun? Absoloutely! But much easier to rip around on pavement on 2 wheels(or one, lol), than to risk that in tight spaces, because if I'm riding that, I'm rippin it with everything it's got. And, no matter who you are, eventually you'll run out of skill, lol!

And, The Most Important thing to learn about riding a sportbike or sportquad, is suspension setup/sag set correctly for the rider.
If it is not, it will not handle correctly, and you have very little control and limited braking ability.

Good luck
Besides fab work and the actual motor. What else do you need? Like longer swingarm maybe but what else?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
A longer swingarm is not needed, but will help keep the front down...a little.
You basically need a running wrecked bike(ecu, wiring harness, gages, all of it). Ability to fab the frame, mounts, and more complicated, exhaust pipes.
You also need quality shocks set up right. If not, you'll find out how bad it's gonna handle, as the R1 engine is alot heavier.
Brakes, lol...good luck.
A carbon embedded pad, and better master cylinder will really help, but, at the end of the day, the rotors are the same size.
You're Going to have brake fade, and on a now heavier and faster machine.
You also need a good cooling system, and the 700 radiator will not do an adequette job.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A longer swingarm is not needed, but will help keep the front down...a little.
You basically need a running wrecked bike(ecu, wiring harness, gages, all of it). Ability to fab the frame, mounts, and more complicated, exhaust pipes.
You also need quality shocks set up right. If not, you'll find out how bad it's gonna handle, as the R1 engine is alot heavier.
Brakes, lol...good luck.
A carbon embedded pad, and better master cylinder will really help, but, at the end of the day, the rotors are the same size.
You're Going to have brake fade, and on a now heavier and faster machine.
You also need a good cooling system, and the 700 radiator will not do an adequette job.
Oh wow...... looks like paying someone might be a good idea to do this job.

For the brakes, Can't I just use the engine? Right now all I use is the motor mostly to stop and hardly ever my brakes.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

For the brakes, Can't I just use the engine? Right now all I use is the motor mostly to stop and hardly ever my brakes.
lol, once you ride a 1000 sportbike, you will understand.
You honestly cannot until then, no one can.
Even though there is a very small amount of engine braking, it does almost nothing in terms of slowing you down.
If you ride an R1 Raptor the same as a 700, then the swap is pointless.
If you ride it to it's potential, it will be violently awesome...and still not like to stop.
The reason so many people crash sportbikes is because they accelerate quicker than most people can react, and stop that much slower.
Braking technique and skill makes a Big difference too.
Consider this; most Any 1kcc sportbike is capable of hitting 150mph+ in 10 seconds, or less, and in a quarter mile...from a dead stop.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

Good luck
Well said

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

lol, once you ride a 1000 sportbike, you will understand.
You honestly cannot until then, no one can.
Even though there is a very small amount of engine braking, it does almost nothing in terms of slowing you down.
If you ride an R1 Raptor the same as a 700, then the swap is pointless.
If you ride it to it's potential, it will be violently awesome...and still not like to stop.
The reason so many people crash sportbikes is because they accelerate quicker than most people can react, and stop that much slower.
Braking technique and skill makes a Big difference too.
Consider this; most Any 1kcc sportbike is capable of hitting 150mph+ in 10 seconds, or less, and in a quarter mile...from a dead stop.
Hes not kidding, and not being a wuss. There is absolutely no way to describe the acceleration of a inline 4cyl superbike. Im not saying that to entice you. Im saying it because its waaaaaayyyyyy too much engine. A person needs to work up to that kind of power. It kills me how many guys will get a zx10 or r1 as their first bike and then never even come close to using it. Or even worse, try it and loop the bike at 100mph. The 04-05 zx10 is literally referred to as "the widow maker" in the sportbike world

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hes not kidding, and not being a wuss. There is absolutely no way to describe the acceleration of a inline 4cyl superbike. Im not saying that to entice you. Im saying it because its waaaaaayyyyyy too much engine. A person needs to work up to that kind of power. It kills me how many guys will get a zx10 or r1 as their first bike and then never even come close to using it. Or even worse, try it and loop the bike at 100mph. The 04-05 zx10 is literally referred to as "the widow maker" in the sportbike world

Wayyyy too much?? Lol, nah, just way too much without experience.
I want to ride a friend of a friend's 400hp turbo Busa! I had one without the turbo, only 180ish at the tire, fun, but not enough, lol.
Another friend use to have an 04 zx10 too, and they are aggressive, but not bad.
Within a couple years after, all the 1k's started getting more detuned, less lower rpm timing, secondary throttle plates to smooth aggressiveness...bah!
It's all in the wrist!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any other sportbike motor thats maybe not so quick then?
I mean I have experience riding. But i'm not super pro.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Wayyyy too much?? Lol, nah, just way too much without experience.
I want to ride a friend of a friend's 400hp turbo Busa! I had one without the turbo, only 180ish at the tire, fun, but not enough, lol.
Another friend use to have an 04 zx10 too, and they are aggressive, but not bad.
Within a couple years after, all the 1k's started getting more detuned, less lower rpm timing, secondary throttle plates to smooth aggressiveness...bah!
It's all in the wrist!
Correct, waaaayyyyy too much without experience. Yeah they really smoothed out that powerband over the years. And now with electronic controls, wow. Used to ride a 02 r1 that you could crack open in first and she would rip hard until about 6k then it would instantly try to loop you without warning. Lol, i dont miss that one. It was stolen actually! Hey have you ever watched the GHOSTRIDER turbo busa videos on youtube? Highly recommend. Well, not doing it, just watching him!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Correct, waaaayyyyy too much without experience. Yeah they really smoothed out that powerband over the years. And now with electronic controls, wow. Used to ride a 02 r1 that you could crack open in first and she would rip hard until about 6k then it would instantly try to loop you without warning. Lol, i dont miss that one. It was stolen actually! Hey have you ever watched the GHOSTRIDER turbo busa videos on youtube? Highly recommend. Well, not doing it, just watching him!

Oh yeah, I know GhostRider.
He's one of my heros, lol, that's me in my avatar.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Oh yeah, I know GhostRider.
He's one of my heros, lol, that's me in my avatar.
I assumed so. You dont seem like the type of jackhole to put up some random pic found online and say its you. Plus, its quite obvious you know what your talkin about on sportbikes
Any 600cc sportbike needs it's neck wrung to make any power(most of it's peak)
As result, they are more forgiving.
You have try if you want to wheelie those.
100% agree. Make no mistake, a race purposed 600 is still fast as hell, especially if you gear it down a little. Ive turned 11 seconds on a 600rr. But torque is lower and its not gonna just buck you off like a angry bull. That being said, lacking torque i dont know if a 600 would work well in a quad anywhere under 40mph

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
I’ve never ridden one myself, but have ridden with and raced against several turbo 700s and sport bike conversions.
I still to this day have not seen a turbo raptor run how it’s supposed to. There are a few that do, but not common.

As far as doing a conversion, only makes sense in a couple scenarios. If you ride the street, it would be absolutely ideal. In dune riding or drag racing, it’s doable, but tough. The weight is very difficult to deal with. Chasis setup is very important and pretty tricky when dealing with the extra weight.
My experience racing against conversions, they’re nothing special. They’re so heavy, can’t get out of their own way. 90hp raptor will eat them up all day in dune/hill racing given it’s not a very long distance. If there are any bumps, they’re screwed. Now if it’s smooth and approaching 1/8 mile, they will outrun anything besides a dedicated drag bike.
There are a couple local 750s in banshee frames that are impressive as an all around build. They actually handle some bumps and a mild trail isn’t out of the question.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve never ridden one myself, but have ridden with and raced against several turbo 700s and sport bike conversions.
I still to this day have not seen a turbo raptor run how it’s supposed to. There are a few that do, but not common.

As far as doing a conversion, only makes sense in a couple scenarios. If you ride the street, it would be absolutely ideal. In dune riding or drag racing, it’s doable, but tough. The weight is very difficult to deal with. Chasis setup is very important and pretty tricky when dealing with the extra weight.
My experience racing against conversions, they’re nothing special. They’re so heavy, can’t get out of their own way. 90hp raptor will eat them up all day in dune/hill racing given it’s not a very long distance. If there are any bumps, they’re screwed. Now if it’s smooth and approaching 1/8 mile, they will outrun anything besides a dedicated drag bike.
There are a couple local 750s in banshee frames that are impressive as an all around build. They actually handle some bumps and a mild trail isn’t out of the question.
I read that the R1 engines are barely heavier than the stock 700

1 - 20 of 60 Posts