Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I assumed so. You dont seem like the type of jackhole to put up some random pic found online and say its you. Plus, its quite obvious you know what your talkin about on sportbikes100% agree. Make no mistake, a race purposed 600 is still fast as hell, especially if you gear it down a little. Ive turned 11 seconds on a 600rr. But torque is lower and its not gonna just buck you off like a angry bull. That being said, lacking torque i dont know if a 600 would work well in a quad anywhere under 40mph

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Well since they easily go over a hundred couldnt you just gear down?

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
I read that the R1 engines are barely heavier than the stock 700
Engine and everything else required plus frame modifications is likely over an additional 100lbs. Raptor 700 engine is around 110lbs.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I read that the R1 engines are barely heavier than the stock 700
I would look into that more.
Does the R1 have lighter, fancier parts? Yep
But...it also has 3 more cylinders, 3 more throttle bodies, alot more parts in the head, alot more parts in general, and alot more aluminum around it, as well as over 30% more displacement.
Consider that suspension sag is set by body weight. Now add 15-20lbs of gear, you need to reset your suspension.
The same is true of adding more weight to the machine by swapping in a heavier engine, you will need custom valved and sprung shocks.
Otherwise, you'll never get control of the hp, and with that much hp...you want to be able to control it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would look into that more.
Does the R1 have lighter, fancier parts? Yep
But...it also has 3 more cylinders, 3 more throttle bodies, alot more parts in the head, alot more parts in general, and alot more aluminum around it, as well as over 30% more displacement.
Consider that suspension sag is set by body weight. Now add 15-20lbs of gear, you need to reset your suspension.
The same is true of adding more weight to the machine by swapping in a heavier engine, you will need custom valved and sprung shocks.
Otherwise, you'll never get control of the hp, and with that much hp...you want to be able to control it.
Wow I didnt know shocks made that big a difference

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well since they easily go over a hundred couldnt you just gear down?
Gearing it higher will have you riding everywhere in 1st gear.
Gearing it lower will just make the first several gears useless, with overwhelming torque and super twitchy responsive wheelies(unwanted 4wheeler wheelies are bad, as you have no steering, and it's pretty difficult to get 2 wheels on a solid axle to track anywhere but straight).
You'de be riding in 1st, maybe 2nd the majority of the time in the woods with a 1000 with stock gearing anyway.
Stock 1000cc sportbikes average an 80-90mph redline in first gear.
You want to shift sooner than that(stay in the hp, before it falls off before peak rpms), but it's good perspective.
1k, ease away from a stop, lean forward, nail it, wide open, ride the power wheelie, and hold 1st gear til you hit the rev limiter and let off...80-90mph...just like that.
It's so good you'll want to find out what the other 5 gears will do, lol.
Sorry, gearing is not the answer.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Is it even worth it to do a 600 sportbike motor swap?
Sure it is.
Any 600 superbike made in the last 15 years has at least 100hp.
600's are more popular for parking lot stunting for the same reason too, alot less hp, much less aggressive and easier to control in a confined space.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I assumed so. You dont seem like the type of jackhole to put up some random pic found online and say its you. Plus, its quite obvious you know what your talkin about on sportbikes100% agree. Make no mistake, a race purposed 600 is still fast as hell, especially if you gear it down a little. Ive turned 11 seconds on a 600rr. But torque is lower and its not gonna just buck you off like a angry bull. That being said, lacking torque i dont know if a 600 would work well in a quad anywhere under 40mph

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks man, I appreciate being taken at my word, cause I wouldn't bs you unless I was bs'n.
I'm like Andy Bell on Nitro Circus, his title was, "washed up motorcycle rider" lmao!

11 second 600 runs are good, and show some skills. Pro riders get best of high 10's, low 11's with perfect conditions.
I could never get into drag racing bikes, did my share, but like to drag my knees instead.
That, and wheelies, basic stunts, and general hooliganism.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Gearing it higher will have you riding everywhere in 1st gear.
Gearing it lower will just make the first several gears useless, with overwhelming torque and super twitchy responsive wheelies(unwanted 4wheeler wheelies are bad, as you have no steering, and it's pretty difficult to get 2 wheels on a solid axle to track anywhere but straight).
You'de be riding in 1st, maybe 2nd the majority of the time in the woods with a 1000 with stock gearing anyway.
Stock 1000cc sportbikes average an 80-90mph redline in first gear.
You want to shift sooner than that(stay in the hp, before it falls off before peak rpms), but it's good perspective.
1k, ease away from a stop, lean forward, nail it, wide open, ride the power wheelie, and hold 1st gear til you hit the rev limiter and let off...80-90mph...just like that.
It's so good you'll want to find out what the other 5 gears will do, lol.
Sorry, gearing is not the answer.
Well fourstrokerfourlife said id be riding like 40 but will it go slower than that without killing it in first?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sure it is.
Any 600 superbike made in the last 15 years has at least 100hp.
600's are more popular for parking lot stunting for the same reason too, alot less hp, much less aggressive and easier to control in a confined space.
Thats what I assumed. I just wonder if I might like a 1000 better.....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well fourstrokerfourlife said id be riding like 40 but will it go slower than that without killing it in first?
Yes, he was just wondering how much torque it would have.
I don't think you would lug the engine much in first gear, it's still making as much/little more torque than the 700 Raptor.
And, all you would need to do would be like any other machine, give it a little more gas and it's fine.
A 600 doesn't make power til high rpm, so you'll feel it's power coming on, and easily control it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, he was just wondering how much torque it would have.
I don't think you would lug the engine much in first gear, it's still making as much/little more torque than the 700 Raptor.
And, all you would need to do would be like any other machine, give it a little more gas and it's fine.
A 600 doesn't make power til high rpm, so you'll feel it's power coming on, and easily control it.
But the 1000 makes good power at low rpm? Or higher rpm like the 600?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah, you would, by far, lol
I’m just worried I might put a 600 in and ride it and wish I had a 1000.
Is a 600 really much faster than a raptor because it’s twice the hp but it’s always twice as fast speed wise so I’d think acceleration would be somewhat the same

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If you can learn to set up sportquad, sportbike suspension, your riding will go to another level, and take off from there. As you will know how to get the best handling out of it, which means more control...which makes you faster.
Shocks beat Exhaust every time.
Well since my shocks are too stiff now I’m thinking it would be pretty easy to get it right with the added weight of the new heavier motor

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I’m just worried I might put a 600 in and ride it and wish I had a 1000.
Is a 600 really much faster than a raptor because it’s twice the hp but it’s always twice as fast speed wise so I’d think acceleration would be somewhat the same
The 600 is going to spin more, and a drag race will be close til probably 50-60mph, then the 600 will walk away from the Raptor.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well since my shocks are too stiff now I’m thinking it would be pretty easy to get it right with the added weight of the new heavier motor
Not so, as you're just guessing at what may work.
Shock springs are installed and valving is set to specific weight ranges and applications( for example, drag racing vs trail riding would be 2 different set ups)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You also have to realize too that there is a big real world difference in what a machine is capable of(hp numbers, 1/4 mile times, top speed) vs what it will do under the circumstances(temp, humidity, elavation, and most of all...rider skill level).
I have friends on 600's and 750's killin 1k's in drag races regularly.
It's not that the 1k can't smoke their smaller bike, it's that they are smokin the riders on the bigger bikes...who bought the bigger bikes thinking they will just outrun everyone.
Another good example is Superbike lap times, 600 vs 1000 are very close, reason being, the 600 has a slower time simply because it cannot accelerate from a stop, down a straight, or out of a corner as quickly, but when you are maintaining the same high speeds, it really narrows the gap.
Once again, it's All in the wrist, lol

21 - 40 of 59 Posts