Raptor Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
An R1 Raptor is an awesome build, but if you cannot do the fab, budget several grand for that alone, plus a wrecked bike.
And if you do build one, even with the invincibility of your youth, be ever mindful that you are riding something capable of getting away from you before you realize it, as you will be quadrupling the hp with 2.5 times the torque, which equals incredible wheel spin(that will spin up into a wheelie), and acceleration that can catapult you into a tree, rock, ditch, or whatever is in the way of a direction you didn't planning on going in.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Just so everyone is on the same page, i have been talking about bike engines in the bikes they come in. I have never rode a converted atv, and dont know what it would be like offroad as far as lugging it and at what speed the power will kick in hard. I do know that the rotating mass is much heavier on the rear end of a quad and id think thats going to rob some of that snappy throttle response, especially a 600. Again, ive never rode a converted quad and im just guessing here. I think it all comes down to what you want to do with the quad, just like twebb said. Are you riding it on the highway back and forth to work? R1 absolutely. Are you doing barrel races? Hell no keep the 700 engine

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The rotating mass on a 4wheeler is not much more than on the bike.
Stock 700 rear wheels and tires weigh very little, and the axle is the heaviest part.
Vs a stock sportbike, where the rear wheel, tire, rotor, etc, are very heavy.
The weight of the machine and engine together is also going to very close between bike and 4wheeler.
The 4wheeler is 350 lbs ish.
The bikes are 450 ish.
Consider an extra 100 lbs of engine with the 1k in the 4wheeler, and you end up with a very similiar power to weight ratio, only traction is much more of an issue on the 4wheeler.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have ridden a few different conversions. A couple with street bike engines and a couple with snowmobile engines. Weight is the killer. They are really only for straight line racing. You hit a bump and the things just about bottom out and don't carve or slide very well either. The quads they are put in aren't designed for the power or weight, the balance is terrible. The geometry for steering with the weight just isn't there. They push terribly and all have extra long swingarms which just makes it even worse. Fast as hell in a straight line but that is where the advantage over even a stock 700 ends. In a race through the dunes with equal riders, comparing the ones I've ridden, the stock raptor is much faster. Guess it depends on what is most important to you.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The extra long swingarms are no good for anything but a straight line, short swingarms are managable at the wrist(tires may suffer, lol)
Those machines pushed and handled poorly because the shocks were not sprung and valved for it, or if they were, they were set up incorrectly.
The engines are only about 100 lbs heavier(consider 120 lb and 220 lb guys rides 700's all the time, so 100lbs is nothing...but a suspension change), and have roughly the same center of gravity, if not better, as most of the 1k's extra weight is at the bottom anyway(crankshaft).
I have seen several make it work builds...straight line death traps.
I have only seen a couple (online only unfortunately) that look well layed out and properly sprung.
I ride trails, so personally, I know I would eventually clip a tree at too quick dummy with a 1k quad.
But, If I lived in a desert, with more usable wide open, I'de definately build a 1k quad.
The OP is in Utah, somewhere with lots of room for a 1k quad!

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
The extra long swingarms are no good for anything but a straight line, short swingarms are managable at the wrist(tires may suffer, lol)
Those machines pushed and handled poorly because the shocks were not sprung and valved for it, or if they were, they were set up incorrectly.
The engines are only about 100 lbs heavier(consider 120 lb and 220 lb guys rides 700's all the time, so 100lbs is nothing...but a suspension change), and have roughly the same center of gravity, if not better, as most of the 1k's extra weight is at the bottom anyway(crankshaft).
I have seen several make it work builds...straight line death traps.
I have only seen a couple (online only unfortunately) that look well layed out and properly sprung.
I ride trails, so personally, I know I would eventually clip a tree at too quick dummy with a 1k quad.
But, If I lived in a desert, with more usable wide open, I'de definately build a 1k quad.
The OP is in Utah, somewhere with lots of room for a 1k quad!
In Utah, he should get ahold of either Lyndon Jeff’s or Peyton Hall. They’ve built a very impressive yfz/nitrous r1.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
An R1 Raptor is an awesome build, but if you cannot do the fab, budget several grand for that alone, plus a wrecked bike.
And if you do build one, even with the invincibility of your youth, be ever mindful that you are riding something capable of getting away from you before you realize it, as you will be quadrupling the hp with 2.5 times the torque, which equals incredible wheel spin(that will spin up into a wheelie), and acceleration that can catapult you into a tree, rock, ditch, or whatever is in the way of a direction you didn't planning on going in.
Why a wrecked bike? On the fab work... I think I could do most of it just some I would need help with and i've got a neighbor who's a welder.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Why a wrecked bike? On the fab work... I think I could do most of it just some I would need help with and i've got a neighbor who's a welder.
Do you have money to burn??
Wrecked, running, insurance totalled 1k's are inexpensive and easy to find.
But, if you want to waste money on a bike in good riding condition, go ahead.
You need the engine, wiring harness, and gages. You'll be left with the rest of the bike. You can part out and sell the leftovers from a good bike at a nice loss...or you could sell a few odds and ends from a wreck, scrap the rest, and put the thousands you saved into the cost of the fab.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
You need the engine, wiring harness, and gages. You'll be left with the rest of the bike. You can part out and sell the leftovers from a good bike at a nice loss...or you could sell a few odds and ends from a wreck, scrap the rest, and put the thousands you saved into the cost of the fab.
Oh sorry I thought you meant a wrecked raptor

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The engine comes with the transmission right? Like it’s all connected like the raptor

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The engine comes with the transmission right? Like it’s all connected like the raptor
Yes.
Hardly Ableson motorcycles are the only bikes I know of with some seperate engine and transmission bikes(most all of them except the Sportsters).
As well as aftermarket V-twin non Japanese choppers and cruisers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So to do the whole job I’ll have to take the raptor motor out, stick the r1 motor in ( which will require welded brackets), mount wiring, fuel tank, and gauges. And then route the exhaust. Any cutting of the frame or anything?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
So to do the whole job I’ll have to take the raptor motor out, stick the r1 motor in ( which will require welded brackets), mount wiring, fuel tank, and gauges. And then route the exhaust. Any cutting of the frame or anything?
Lol, yeah...a little measuring, a little planning, a little cutting, a little fitting, a little test fitting, a little tack welding, a little finish welding...equals Alot of work!
This is No small feat.

My Dad is a retired mechanical engineer/tool and die maker/welder/fabricator with a half century of experience. HE is the Only reason that I would attempt this.
I know what needs to be done, and he can figure out how to make it work, and more importantly, make it work right.
It's a big job, you Need someone in your corner with the know-how to pull it off right.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts