Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Don't do it especially if you have any horsepower, it lasted long enough to get deep in the dunes, and two hill races and went out, COMPLETELY... towed 9 miles in the dunes!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't do it especially if you have any horsepower, it lasted long enough to get deep in the dunes, and two hill races and went out, COMPLETELY... towed 9 miles in the dunes!!!
Well I hear all sorts of negative things on here about different products, but no one ever explains why. Some people are for a product and the next runs it down. Tusk advertises heavy duty racing clutch much better and improved than oem with HD springs and improved power management, because of the friction plates that are thicker and hardened and will not warp under heat conditions like oem do.

I thought Tusk was a proven aftermarket product ???????

Why do you not recommend Tusk and what should I buy ?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Some people hate tusk some like it. I never ran the 660 tusk clutch but I ran a tusk in my banshee and it has been in there for a couple years now with no problems at all. The only clutch that burned up real fast was a Barnett clutch and I used the wrong oil when I installed the clutch. Just make sure your adjustment for your clutch is good. Most people don't adj. it right and burn it right up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a tusk clutch in my mild built 660 and it's holding up great. Plus a few buddies also have them in there big bore stroker motors and there still holding just fine. Not sure how they would perform in the full race motors but for mild builds I would gladly spend the $55 on another

·
Registered
43 Posts
i had tusk clutch kit on my old 660 for a good 3.5 years then the engine failed and i sold the whole bike, i recommend you get one!

·
Ridin High.....
961 Posts
Tusk isn't bad at all. Ive always ran oem but know of other guys on here that have had great results with the Tusk clutch kit. I believe preddy has ran one in the past and it was fine.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I use Vito's HD Clutch kit and so far I love it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
GYTR has been my favorite clutch to run to date... Like I said, the tusk clutch did not last one day in my bike, that is why I don't recommend it. I've used other tusk products with no problems. I've had a gytr in there for almost 4 years now. I know how to adjust my clutch and there was not an installation error. Maybe they changed their design for the better?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I run GYTR, but have heard good things about Vito's & Barnett, till now had not heard good or bad about Tusk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input

I have bought a tusk clutch kit after searching on ebay for replacement clutches.
I have read up on Tusk site and all seems very impressive. I am pleased to hear that there are reliable users. The one that failed must have been a dud or just bad luck "sorry".

I do not know if I have a mild build or not compared to your judgement.
I did the build myself. I have a AirAge exhaust with a GYTR air intake filter and billet fitting, stage 2 hotcams, Kibble white valve springs, ported head, Wyseco 12.5 / 1 HC piston and a Hotrods crank and rod. My carb has been jetted to accommodate the mods. My speed limiter has also been modded.
Goes like a bomb. Just the clutch slips now when I really open it wide.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.