Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I put a twister on the 700 for the weekend desert trip. To be honest I was a little nervous because of all the negative things I've read on here about people hating the twister, crashing because of the twister, or could never get use to it so they change it back. Well I think the twister is absolutly great! I will never go back to thumb throttle again. This made my quad so much more fun to ride, it really feels like a Real dirt bike now. For me it is much more natural, especially when going sideways, to twist the throttle than to push a thumb. I feel alot safer too having your thumb wrapped around the grip, much easier to hang on. I know everyone has there own personal preferences but for me I got the hang of it right away. Oh yeah, and no more sore thumb after a long ride!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Rodneysj said:
OK so I put a twister on the 700 for the weekend desert trip. To be honest I was a little nervous because of all the negative things I've read on here about people hating the twister, crashing because of the twister, or could never get use to it so they change it back. Well I think the twister is absolutly great! I will never go back to thumb throttle again. This made my quad so much more fun to ride, it really feels like a Real dirt bike now. For me it is much more natural, especially when going sideways, to twist the throttle than to push a thumb. I feel alot safer too having your thumb wrapped around the grip, much easier to hang on. I know everyone has there own personal preferences but for me I got the hang of it right away. Oh yeah, and no more sore thumb after a long ride!
Well said!!!! I have to agree with everything you stated!!!!!

Reactions: Fozzieii

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've had mine ever since I bought the raptor. Maybe I'll actually put it on now.... ::)

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
wow, i'm still up in the air, i guess i'll have to buy one to try for my self,
what kind did you get?
:thumbsup:
glad to hear you liked it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
NICK said:
wow, i'm still up in the air, i guess i'll have to buy one to try for my self,
what kind did you get?
:thumbsup:
glad to hear you liked it.
I have always bought Motion Pro! I am willing to bet that if 10 people that have only used a thumb throttle and they used them for one full weekend of riding and allowed themselves to get used to it, 7 would never go back to a thumb! And if you took 10 riders that grew up on bikes with twists, they would all stay with the twist!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i have both twister and thumb.. i use the twister on my blaster which i flat track andit is great for sliding , but hate it for jumping, ive had it for about a year and still trying to get use to it. jmo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How many of you were motorcycle riders before getting into quad's? Those of you that were, do you prefer thumb are wrist?

I know from my experience, I like the twist throttle... I'm comfortable with it. It's really that simple... My guess is those of you that started riding with thumb trottle prefer that.

Any takers?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
LUPike said:
How many of you were motorcycle riders before getting into quad's? Those of you that were, do you prefer thumb are wrist?

I know from my experience, I like the twist throttle... I'm comfortable with it. It's really that simple... My guess is those of you that started riding with thumb trottle prefer that.

Any takers?
Pretty much what I was saying, but alot of the younger guys with no twist experience should really give it a try!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
well that is true, i started out on thumb, and i do perfer it over the twister. and i have about 5yrs experience riding, and iam 23 now. so yeah alot of you older guys probable do like the twister..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yah... I "read over" your post, but didn't really "READ" it until after I posted... I'll learn! At any rate, it's good to get as much info out there as possible... these things (forums) should be a living entity... not an archive of single posts that need to be searched through... that's what Google's for! :crazy:

·
Registered
178 Posts
LUPike said:

Any takers?
Me. :wave:

Once I realized the Rap I ordered had only a thumb throttle I didn't eat for three days...lost in a vacuous stare... :eek:

On a bike, we don't actually turn the bars much at all; mainly steer with pegs/leaning. On a quad, though, we steer by actively turning the bars R&L, often going lock-to-lock. I think a twist would be more difficult than a thumb in this regard. But I have thought about the Terry Cable Twist/Thumb combo. Kinda pricey at $130 or so, though.

So far, I am good/accurate with the stock thumb unit.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I grew up on twist and love it and hated the thumb when I first got into quadding. Now its more like 50/50 cause I do alot of jumping and whoops where a twist just sucks but I do alot of riding where the thumb throttle isnt as good. They need to make one that contains both and you can switch it back and forth somehow depending on your riding that day. :p

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
That is what I was thinking. If they had one that you could lock out and just use the thumb I would like to buy that and try it out.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
pile0g00 said:
That is cool, but I don't know if it would work with the raptor.
Ya, I dont know if they have one for our Raptor im just saying there is such a product.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Went to Gordon's Well area in November with a new GYT-R 700R and hated the thumb unit. Went last week and put on a MP unit. At first it was a little touchy. I got used to it but it turns way too easy. Also, I was worried that the throw would be to fast for an EFI unit. I was wrong. I wish it tuned a little faster. I would never have a flipper on one again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
took about 10 minutes to remove thumb throttle,toss into trash,and install terry cable twist/ thumb throttle!i love this thing! and yes the twist locks by pushing pin in for thumb only use,or you can pull pin and have use of both!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts