Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good idea with the power of the 660? I went to the Hatfeild McCoy this weekend and my thumb was worthless. I am used to a twist, my grip on the bars is a more twist-ish, and i cannot get used to the thumb angle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
best mod i ever did for racing purposes. Reduced arm pump, less blisters, and I can hold on tight to the bars and still work the throttle.

Most people either love them or hate them, I love mine. I got a 686 and power is not the issue for control, practice and common sence is.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
I've got two, a push/pull for trail riding and a vortex for racing. I still flattrack with the thumb though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I really dont think so, I went to hatfield and McCoy last year, and with all that riding the thumb would do better. It just wouldnt be right , like in a woopie doo trail it would make me be more careful cause a twist throttle is suppose to be on a dirt bike not a atv

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep going back and forth, with 6 plus hours of riding, I was in pain. Painful pain. I think for 50$ I might just go ahead and get a twist to see how she feels. Does anyone know if the Motion Pro has an aggressive twist to throttle ration, as in, a quarter twist is full throttle? I want it to be smooth, I want to really twist the hell out of it to be at wot.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have had both on my raptor, I think its all personal prefrence. Try it out and if you decide you dont like it then sell it.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
phatplat said:
I keep going back and forth, with 6 plus hours of riding, I was in pain. Painful pain. I think for 50$ I might just go ahead and get a twist to see how she feels. Does anyone know if the Motion Pro has an aggressive twist to throttle ration, as in, a quarter twist is full throttle? I want it to be smooth, I want to really twist the hell out of it to be at wot.
Motion pro has a wide variety of "rates" if you will on their twists. You can buy a very slow or very quick one, but the actual rate itself depends on the carbs used. Most kits for the raptor are the CR Comp or CR Pro twists. Vortex is the most aggressive, next is the whirlpull.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For about $20 you can add a thumb extension to the stock throttle. It adds leverage which requires less strength to push and you can also palm it when you get tired.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you youre on flat ground, twist would be great. When you're on dunes or mountain, taking tights, being thrown all over, I dont want to know what would happen if you cranked on that throttle too hard.... Just keep that in mind if you like to go hard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am actually kind of conservative, most of you would probably call me a vagina or some other variation of the word. I like to ride hard, but I want to learn the machine first.

·
Registered
145 Posts
phatplat said:
...call me a vagina or some other variation of the word...
hahaha

you can adjust the actual throttle by loosening the screws that hold it to the bar, when i put on my new handlebar the angle was off and it really cramped up my finger, i adjusted it and it made a huge difference, i have been riding for years with a thumb throttle and had no pain or anything. so first try changing the angle of the thumb.

i think that thumb is better for quads because you can't lean it or do anything like you would on a dirt bike, the quad stays and you just lean around it and such, to do that you need to be able to hold on to the bars and not accidentally give it gas. i hope that makes sense :grin_nod:

but you can try the twist, it may work for the type of riding you do

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was adjusting it when I was on the trail, the throttle itself. When I use the thumb, I never have a complete grip on the bars, very scary. I am going to buy the twist friday and I will def. post some updates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1/4 twist, I beleive it is a Motion Pro, I also have 39mm Kein carbs, so it's got the dual 'push-pull' cables. I absolutely LOVE it, but I come from the OLD SCHOOL of riding, dirt and street bikes, the thumb throttle killed my thumb, just could not get used to it, twisting the grip did nothing, so I switched, and haven't had any problems, just my opinion though...Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats where I an man, I have ridden dirt bikes and motorcycles my whole life. I have ridden quads, but this is the first time I have rode the nipples off of one.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
phatplat said:
Thats where I an man, I have ridden dirt bikes and motorcycles my whole life. I have ridden quads, but this is the first time I have rode the nipples off of one.
Me too! I had a twist on my 400EX and it was one of the best mods I ever did! The first thing I did on the 700 was "dump the thumb"! I would never even consider going back to it! I have more control in all riding conditions with a twist, not just on flat ground! Try catching a stump or a tree root with a right front tire doing warp speed through the trails and see how well a thumb throttle works! After you pick you thumb up off the ground, good luck pushing that little piece of shit with it! TWIST ON MY BROTHERS! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im in AZ and went to tonto national forest- with a twist, it got a little scary- the throttle i had on it was really loose, so it was really easy to twist, causing all sorts of no fun. i prefer the thumb, more handling available for sure.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
How is a throttle lose? Dont make sense?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WHen you say loose, do you mean you had to really crank it around for wot? THrottle cable loose, ie. too much play? Or maybe you had a vortex or something, quarter turn and you are wot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got one off of ebay. 35$ I will put it on when I get it. If I do not break any vitals, I will post how I like or dislike it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
phatplat said:
Just got one off of ebay. 35$ I will put it on when I get it. If I do not break any vitals, I will post how I like or dislike it.
Just give yourself time to adjust. As I have said before, if you didnt grow up riding bikes (with) a twist throttle its going to feel a WHOLE lot different than what you are used to, but for those that say you cant control the twist throttle and it is different than on a bike, I totally disagree. just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts