Raptor Forum banner

Twist throttles

3K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  roc64 
#1 ·
Is Motion Pro the only game in town ?? Not a fan by any means, years ago bought one for the Banshee and it was cheap and poor quality, actually it broke..Swore I'd never use them again, used to use Magura but can't find one any more... :( Anyone got any ideas ??

#2 ·
I had a motion pro on my CR for about a day...one handle bar rub leaving a berm and kaaapuut! I'd maybe look into using a stock or after market housing with a quick turn tube for a YZ450F dirt bike and look for a cable that would would work. White Brother's, Pro-Taper and Works Connection are a few that make good tubes. If you can't find a cable, I know there are a few harley shops that can modify them ( length'n or short'n ) to fit. Good luck!

#3 ·
GEARHEAD9969 said:
I had a motion pro on my CR for about a day...one handle bar rub leaving a berm and kaaapuut! I'd maybe look into using a stock or after market housing with a quick turn tube for a YZ450F dirt bike and look for a cable that would would work. White Brother's, Pro-Taper and Works Connection are a few that make good tubes. If you can't find a cable, I know there are a few harley shops that can modify them ( length'n or short'n ) to fit. Good luck!
Never thought about a YZ bike twister !!! Thanks.....I found an old metal twister that is going on the Banshee, just needs a good tube....I see Pro Circuit makes one also, I'll check out the places you listed.....Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Ive rolled my quad and put it on its side and my MP throttle is goin strong.

#5 ·
Glamis700 said:
Ive rolled my quad and put it on its side and my MP throttle is goin strong.
Wish I had your luck !! I broke mine on the Banshee rolling out on the track the first time I tried it, started the quad warmed it a little, put it in gear, rolled onto the track and where the cable connects into the throttle tube just broke...I wasn't even beating on it, I can see maybe an old one breaking in that spot from abuse, but shit I didn't even hit hard !! I called MP and they offered to replace it, thanks but no thanks.. :(

#8 ·
Great Luck with MP's on both of my Quads! Maybe you should give them the another try?

#9 ·
roc64 said:
Great Luck with MP's on both of my Quads! Maybe you should give them the another try?
Starting to look that way..LOL I'm going to price the YFZ450f bike twister before I make up my mind..The plastic throttle tube was the downfall of the MP before..I'll go with a aluminum tube regardless, guess it comes down to price on the two assemblies.. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
rich807 said:
Had a MP on both my DS and Z400, no problems.

Also, doesn't the YZF throttles use a push-me/pull-me 2-cable setup?
I think you may be rite, I'm trying to remember what my YZ426F looked like..I can't believe it would have changed much to the 450F..... :3question:

#14 ·
Big Mike said:
I think you may be rite, I'm trying to remember what my YZ426F looked like..I can't believe it would have changed much to the 450F..... :3question:
I had a 426 too. I think what the deal is that 4-strokes equipped with with cable-actuated carb slides (such as FCR carbs) needed a 2 cable system to ensure the slide closed because of the heavy vacuum effect you get from 4-strokes. Was a safety issue to the industry as I recall.

The wife and I have been looking at those dual-gasser throttles for a week or so....very intriguing. I'm going to call Terry Cable and ask if they have one for the rappy. Only seen them listed for TRXs.

#15 ·
I also use the Motion Pro on my old 450 and my current 700. No problems, lots of abuse. Maybe give em another try!

DJ

#16 ·
Something that is often overlooked with twists is the fact that there are a lot of different ones availible. Many that come in a "kit" are the cheapest ones that will work with the machine. Motion Pro's vortex and whirlpull throttles are significantly better than their other units IME.

I thought about the factory bike throttle route myself, but after a 130 dollar price tag from the dealer I picked up a couple of motion pros.

#17 ·
Maddog56 said:
Something that is often overlooked with twists is the fact that there are a lot of different ones availible. Many that come in a "kit" are the cheapest ones that will work with the machine. Motion Pro's vortex and whirlpull throttles are significantly better than their other units IME.

I thought about the factory bike throttle route myself, but after a 130 dollar price tag from the dealer I picked up a couple of motion pros.
I agree but, Motion Pro's vortex and whirlpull throttles are not made for the 700! They claim they are to quick, so they do not offer them! Only the CR Pro model!

#19 ·
I didn't say it wont work. I said Motion Pro doesn't offer one (in a kit) other than the Cr Pro because the other ones were harder to control with the Fuel Injected 700. If you call them and ask for a Vortex and they ask what bike its for and you tell them its for a Raptor700 they will tell you not to do that, due to Safety! I had 4-5 conversations with them about it because I always loved my Vortex on my 400 and Everyone of them said the 2 were not a good mix at all.

#20 ·
Have any of you guys noticed terry cable. I met the owner 0f the company a few years ago and he is really into customer satisfaction and making sure things are right with the customer. When I talked to him he said he wanted feed back so he could improve his product. What I noticed is that he makes cables for a lot of applications and if we want him to help the atv industry we will have to give him a nudge. He is listed in this months issue of dirtwheels and he has a twist and thumb throttle both in one unit.

#22 ·
joe raptor said:
Have any of you guys noticed terry cable. I met the owner 0f the company a few years ago and he is really into customer satisfaction and making sure things are right with the customer. When I talked to him he said he wanted feed back so he could improve his product. What I noticed is that he makes cables for a lot of applications and if we want him to help the atv industry we will have to give him a nudge. He is listed in this months issue of dirtwheels and he has a twist and thumb throttle both in one unit.
The guys (and at least one gal) at terrycable have always taken excellent care of me. They've helped with technical question, rushed an order when I didn't plan well enough ahead, custom made exactly what I needed, etc. They've earned my business for life.

#23 ·
Streamline is making twist throttles now. They have a braided steel cable cover but are otherwise the same as the MotionPro. Saw it on eBay in the store section for 44.99. They also make a braided steel throttle cable. Looks cool - matches braided stainless steel brake lines in appearance.

#24 ·
rich807 said:
Big Mike said:
I had a 426 too. I think what the deal is that 4-strokes equipped with with cable-actuated carb slides (such as FCR carbs) needed a 2 cable system to ensure the slide closed because of the heavy vacuum effect you get from 4-strokes. Was a safety issue to the industry as I recall.

The wife and I have been looking at those dual-gasser throttles for a week or so....very intriguing. I'm going to call Terry Cable and ask if they have one for the rappy. Only seen them listed for TRXs.
i have the terry cable duel gasser on my 06 raptor!this thing is great,the raptor is a backup bike for our group of riding buddies and im the only one who uses twist,the thumb is in a great position,much better than my yfz and i think better than the stock raptor!not stiff at all,over six months no problems.also i run a motion pro on the yfz,13 months no problems!

#25 ·
lee said:
rich807 said:
Big Mike said:

i have the terry cable duel gasser on my 06 raptor!this thing is great,the raptor is a backup bike for our group of riding buddies and im the only one who uses twist,the thumb is in a great position,much better than my yfz and i think better than the stock raptor!not stiff at all,over six months no problems.also i run a motion pro on the yfz,13 months no problems!
Welcome........Would you be the same Lee from the "HQ" ?? 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.