Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has seen this. I think I may have twisted my axle. All stock, never been apart. Hubs used to line up with each other, now they don't. Any ideas? Dune trip planned for the 11th, gotta figure this out.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
have you removed the hubs to inspect the splines? is there any play in any of the hubs?

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
Have you taken the hubs and visually inspected the splines? Are your hubs loose? If they are loose its possible you twisted the splines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, first thing I did was pull the hubs to check the splines. Feel good and tight. Used a straight edge to check for any signs of twisting on axle at the splines - nothing. Hubs look good as well. Both hubs came off with very light tap of a rubber mallet. No signs of metal shavings / residue.
FYI - the ride is an 09 700. Approx 1200 miles on it, 90% of time is dunes. All stock accept for the big 3 engine mods. Thinking about it last night, I remember the last ride I did hook a root. But it rode and felt ok rest of the day. Last night inspecting the left tire/wheel, noticed that the tire has spun on the wheel. Unsure how far, but the paddle no longer aligns with the valve stem by a couple inches.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
So all you did was spin the tire on the rim? I would just pick a tire, break the beads, and spin it till it aligns. Put some air in it and you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
it's not uncommon for paddle tires to spin on the wheel.

i would think that an axle, if twisted, wouldn't run true still. that would be an odd occurrence, as metal usually bends when twisted unless the twist was extremely slight.

if you still have an uneasy feeling about the axle twisting, you might want to switch it out with a stronger aftermarket axle to ease your mind.

·
Registered
316 Posts
if you endup needing a new axle i have one for sale .. its an after market RPM DOM II extendable.. but it soulds like your paddles just spun the the rim.. break the bead on one and spin it back.. it happens for time to time

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking of spinning the tire, but my biggest concern was that the hubs used to line up, and now they don't. Tried adjusting hubs one sline at a time but can't get them to line up, always about half a spline off. Doesn't seem like much twist, but any seems odd to me.
I agree it seems almost impossible to twist an axle and not have some bend to it, will check with dial caliper today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok measured run-out (wobble) of axle at the end just before the hub splines. Left side is .021" the right side .005". Not sure what if any the specs call for.
Thinking at this point, I'll slip the tire and make it line up for this weekends trip and will start looking into a new axle.
If anyone thinks safety is a factor or has recommendations on a replacement axle, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks to all how replied, appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
i'm not sure on the safety issue, your call. i might chance it if i was doing casual riding but not if i was getting into any serious terrain.

if i had to choose a new axle, it would be LSR axcalibur pro, or RPM. i have an RPM and an older LSR axcalibur on a couple rides, no complaints with either. both offer manufacturer lifetime warranties. i've had LSR axles on a couple other bikes i previously owned as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts