Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a built 06' R6 engine on my bike, aprox 135hp. I took it out to St. Joe this weekend to do some sand dragging. I was runnin side by side with alcohol banshees, hitting right at 90mph each run. The 4th run as soon as I launch, this happens! Luckly it happened at launch and not at 90 mph! I believe this is an "RAD" axle, not really sure since it came with my swing arm. anyway, its an RAD carrier, what axle will fit in here? Not sure about that, and what will hold up to this power? I dont want to chance this happening ever again. the bottom one is actually a video

·
Registered
205 Posts
dude that nuts your a lucky sob

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:I don't know what to say. Good thing it happened there.... I'm sure some of the drag guys will know a good axle to run

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I was out there last weekend and saw your bike but didn't get to see it run. You must be hookin up good to twist that axle off!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know... it was hooking really good, but i didnt think this axle was breakable ha

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Axle wasn't designed for that much torque - you indeed are lucky it didn't fail at speed.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I've got a built 06' R6 engine on my bike, aprox 135hp. I took it out to St. Joe this weekend to do some sand dragging. I was runnin side by side with alcohol banshees, hitting right at 90mph each run. The 4th run as soon as I launch, this happens! Luckly it happened at launch and not at 90 mph! I believe this is an "RAD" axle, not really sure since it came with my swing arm. anyway, its an RAD carrier, what axle will fit in here? Not sure about that, and what will hold up to this power? I dont want to chance this happening ever again. the bottom one is actually a video

The highest torque in the axle is on the launch, after that it diminishes, your chances of breaking the axle at 90 mph is near impossible.........

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
The highest torque in the axle is on the launch, after that it diminishes, your chances of breaking the axle at 90 mph is near impossible.........
Agreed - but twisting it at launch, causing a small fracture, which then breaks when hitting a bump at speed IS a possibility, albeit lower likelihood.

·
Registered
41 Posts
woah!

·
Registered
584 Posts
the fact that you didnt strip teeth on the sprockets, break a chain, hurt the trans, or just flat out spin, is amazing. glad ur ok, it coulda been waaay worse. that axle looks like it sheared perfect, i cant tell but does it have an outer and inner piece? forgive my ignorance, but the picture could be playin a head game with me...
Congrats on the kills throughout the day before this happened..

Hunter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its a solid axle, the ends are notched for the hubs and the part that is on the wheel still has two spacers which are to be used to make it sit wide or narrow, and that is right where it twisted clean off. Poor design IMO.

·
El Jefe de la Hill
1,593 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few years ago. After a full day of racing and with my son on it...very very scary. My cause was rust though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a 40mm axle, does anyone know if I can just buy stock size bearings to put in my carrier and use a stock size axle, stronger obviously... no more aluminum for me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wow! I would have thought that it would strip out the hubs before it sheared the axle, but I guess not. I had a hub strip out and come off with the wheel, but was in third gear when it happened. Its extremely scary when you see your wheel pass you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts