Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I was going on a small ride today at a low speed just cruising and all of the sudden coolant just started leaking all over me and so I turned around and went home. I've noticed the coolant bottle dropping lately but not in huge amounts.
It looks like its the radiator itself because I don't know where else it could be coming from. Is it normal to have to replace the radiator? Like the idiot I am I did put car coolant in it but just a little bit to top it off till my hp honda coolant gets here....
Any insights?
In the case of needing replacement, are aftermarket radiators fine?

Thanks everybody,
Nathan

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Check and/or replace the radiator cap before you buy a radiator.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: morphrider

·
Registered
80 Posts
Car antifreeze is perfectly fine for your raptor. I'd just not mix colors. If you ever change it a Dexcool type antifreeze is a little easier on the aluminum parts.

·
Super Moderator
8,267 Posts
Probably due for a good flushing anyway. I do ours every other season.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did an coolant change and put hp honda coolant in it but its still leaking a bit. When I go above 60 it starts to drip on my leg. You can see stains all over the a arm plates..... looks like its leaking from the bottom of the radiator so I dont know if thats a seal problem or what.... aftermarket radiators are like $75 so IDK if I should just get one or if they are ok quality

·
Registered
391 Posts
Get s new radiator or add a teaspoon of stop leak in it and see if it stops leaking.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Given it's age, I'de just replace it.
I'de also do a coolant flush with the old radiator still on it(to keep as much crud, if any, out of the new radiator).

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,549 Posts
Did you test the cap. Replace it anyway with a 1.1 instead of the .9 from the factory.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A radiator test kit. It can pressurize the cooling system and test caps. Tusk has a cheap one, some local autoparts stores loan out the kit with a deposit.
With the radiator being so old... I might as well just replace it. I can get a aftermarket one for like $75

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,549 Posts
Sure, you see some coolant puddled on the radiator. You might as well replace the old radiator, old hoses, old water pump, oil pump, CDI, TPS, TB, injector, foot pegs, swing arm, etc... They're all the same age. Or you can get a loaner radiator test kit and check the radiator and see if it's bad or if its a loose hose or maybe a bad cap. Work smarter,,, Not harder!!!!

Reactions: Sixpack577
1 - 20 of 20 Posts