Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was going off the assumption that it is leaking.
But, if you're not sure, absoloutely find the leak first.
It is leaking. I'm not confused about that. When coolant starts going all over your leg you kinda notice.
If the cap was bad would it make the radiator leak though?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

I could always just buy this and see if it fixes the problem since I have prime.....

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
It is leaking. I'm not confused about that. When coolant starts going all over your leg you kinda notice.
If the cap was bad would it make the radiator leak though?
If the cap no longer seals, coolant can leak.
If the cap is bad and pressure builds, then the radiator itself can spring a leak at wherever it's weakest point is.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If the cap no longer seals, coolant can leak.
If the cap is bad and pressure builds, then the radiator itself can spring a leak at wherever it's weakest point is.
Huh, at this point im pretty sure its the radiator. And to go to all the trouble of testing it... I think a new radiator might just be ideal.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Easiest way to test a small radiator is to use a rubber cap or duct tape the lower hose opening closed, submerge it in a 5 gallon bucket of water, put an air hose in the upper hose opening, seal it as best you can with your hand, and lightly apply air pressure.
If you have a leak, you'll see the air bubbles coming out of the leak point.
The same way to check a heater core, which is basically the same design as a radiator.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Easiest way to test a small radiator is to use a rubber cap or duct tape the lower hose opening closed, submerge it in a 5 gallon bucket of water, put an air hose in the upper hose opening, seal it as best you can with your hand, and lightly apply air pressure.
If you have a leak, you'll see the air bubbles coming out of the leak point.
The same way to check a heater core, which is basically the same design as a radiator.
Hmm... doesnt seem to time consuming either..... good idea. Guess ill do that. Thanks.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,695 Posts
A radiator test kit. It can pressurize the cooling system and test caps. Tusk has a cheap one, some local autoparts stores loan out the kit with a deposit.
Sure, you see some coolant puddled on the radiator. You might as well replace the old radiator, old hoses, old water pump, oil pump, CDI, TPS, TB, injector, foot pegs, swing arm, etc... They're all the same age. Or you can get a loaner radiator test kit and check the radiator and see if it's bad or if its a loose hose or maybe a bad cap. Work smarter,,, Not harder!!!!
^^^

·
11,695 Posts
Loose clamps, split hoses, cracked overflow tank, leaking water pump. IDK, bring the bike over and I'll check it out for you.

And, yes, I own a radiator test kit.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Check and/or replace the radiator cap before you buy a radiator.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Radiator cap had no sign of leakage.
Going back through and i just caught this. What do you mean it had no sign of leakage? Like the coolant wasnt that high up on the radiator? Or it just appears to be intact? FYI you can take your radiator cap to about any auto parts store and match it up to get a replacement for cheap, and no waiting for the mail to come. Id take DEZPERADOs offer though! The man has alot to teach for anyone that wants to listen

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Loose clamps, split hoses, cracked overflow tank, leaking water pump. IDK, bring the bike over and I'll check it out for you.

And, yes, I own a radiator test kit.
Where do you live though? Thanks for the offer and I'd love some help.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Going back through and i just caught this. What do you mean it had no sign of leakage? Like the coolant wasnt that high up on the radiator? Or it just appears to be intact? FYI you can take your radiator cap to about any auto parts store and match it up to get a replacement for cheap, and no waiting for the mail to come. Id take DEZPERADOs offer though! The man has alot to teach for anyone that wants to listen

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Umm... idk what I meant by that. It does appear to be intact but im sure it can look intact and still not hold pressure.

·
11,695 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
Road trip!

·
11,695 Posts
A radiator test kit. It can pressurize the cooling system and test caps. some local autoparts stores loan out the kit with a deposit.
What he said, ^^^, do it!!

Reactions: Nathannewbie
21 - 40 of 87 Posts