Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to check my oil after a ride and when I removed the dipstick the oil level was up to the top of the tank...

What do I need to do to find the problem???

Is it safe to ride or will I kill it?

This is an 03 Raptor... I really hope this wont require an engine teardown:mad:

Thanks in advance
JimT

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I went to check my oil after a ride and when I removed the dipstick the oil level was up to the top of the tank...

Thanks in advance
JimT
One thing to check, Start the motor & check for oil flow. Its a 6mm bolt if I remember right on the right side of the head cover. If oil dosent flow out you have issues.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts

Thanks in advance
JimT
This could mean that the in tank filter is plugged............
It is located at the bottom of the tank on the left side, remove the two allen head bolts and pull it out............

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
This could mean that the in tank filter is plugged............
It is located at the bottom of the tank on the left side, remove the two allen head bolts and pull it out............
Ya, I guess you should start thear..:)

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts

Thanks in advance
JimT
Are you sure you have the correct volume of oil in the motor? If the tank over filling then the pick up must be clear and working in the motor so check the screen on the bottom oil line that comes from the bottom of the oil tank. Possibly the screen is clogged inside the oil tank. Good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK, The guy I got it from said he had about 4 hours on the engine since he had rebuilt it. I changed the oil when I got it. I ran it about 5 hours and the new oil was black and the tank filter had small metal shavings and black little chips that crumbled when I rubbed them. I drained all the oil did an engine flush for 5 minutes, redrained and replaced the oil filter and put in 2.3 of amsoil. So far so good. I plan on doing a another oil and filter change after 3 or so more hours and depending on what I find in the filter I may do another flush.

I guess my question now is, does the metal shavings sound like a bad problem or could it have just been left overs from the rebuild??? I don't want to invest in anymore mods if this thing is dying or in need of another rebuild.

Thanks again everyone, I would be so Pi$$ed off if it wasn't for you all!!!
JimT

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
OK, The guy I got it from said he had about 4 hour on the engine since he rebuilt it. I had changed the oil when I got it. I ran it about 5 hours and the new oil was black and the tank filter had small metal shavings and black little chips that crumbled when I rubbed them. I drained all the oil did an engine flush for 5 minutes, redrained and replaced the oil filter and put in 2.3 of amsoil. So far so good, I plan on doing a another oil and filter change after 3 or so more hours and depending on what I find in the filter I may do another flush.

I guess my question now is, does the metal shavings sound like a bad problem or could it have just been left overs from the rebuild???

JimT
Hopefully from the previous problem....................:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK the problem is back!!! The oil tank is still full after sitting for about an hour after riding so I am afraid it is a much bigger problem then I was hoping...

I was thinking the next step is to remove my clutch cover and check the oil pump. How do I check the pump to see if it is working??? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again in advance.
JimT

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
OK the problem is back!!! The oil tank is still full after sitting for about an hour after riding so I am afraid it is a much bigger problem then I was hoping...

I was thinking the next step is to remove my clutch cover and check the oil pump. How do I check the pump to see if it is working??? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again in advance.
JimT
On the right hand side of the cylinder head you will find a round plug with a screw in it, loosen this screw and see if oil flows from this area when you run the engine.......:)

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
OK, The guy I got it from said he had about 4 hours on the engine since he had rebuilt it. I changed the oil when I got it. I ran it about 5 hours and the new oil was black and the tank filter had small metal shavings and black little chips that crumbled when I rubbed them. I drained all the oil did an engine flush for 5 minutes, redrained and replaced the oil filter and put in 2.3 of amsoil. So far so good. I plan on doing a another oil and filter change after 3 or so more hours and depending on what I find in the filter I may do another flush.

I guess my question now is, does the metal shavings sound like a bad problem or could it have just been left overs from the rebuild??? I don't want to invest in anymore mods if this thing is dying or in need of another rebuild.

JimT
It appears the rebuild didn't include flushing the oil tank, oil lines, oil tank filter screen, and oil pump, then inspecting for any metal shavings. Sounds like something serious let go, possibly a tranny, clutch or a piston & jug failure. I can see someone rebuilding without flushing if it were a top end or clutch failure. Any of those scenarios would litter the motor with what you have described. Willy pointed you in the right direction, look for oil flow to the top of the motor and track backwards from there....delivery line, oil filter, pump, pick up screen....you may need to do a compete inspection and flush. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts