Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i did a search real quick under the speed sensor threads and didnt see anything.

this happened with my cousins bike, and im wondering if its common. he has a bone stock bike, minus a 15t sprocket. we unplugged his speed sensor only.

it stopped charging and was real low on power. so we shut it down to look it over, and it wouldnt turn over. thats how we found out it wasnt charging. so we got it fired up again, with the sensor plugged back in. power came back, and charging issue went away.

ive read its alot bigger difference with a modded bike vs. stock. my bike has full exhaust and a tuner, intake some time soon. so im looking at doing this, but the side effects he had arent worth it to me.

so has anyone else had this happen? anything similar/adverse affects? thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was the ss. bike ran fine and started the first couple times after the initial unplug.

about 2 hours into the ride it had apparently not been charging. it was definately only the ss we touched. no other connections.

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
281pony said:
it was the ss. bike ran fine and started the first couple times after the initial unplug.

about 2 hours into the ride it had apparently not been charging. it was definately only the ss we touched. no other connections.
I'd almost have to go with the stator as well... maybe a pic of what you unplugged to clarrify?

·
Registered
163 Posts
if i recall correctly someone did the same thing.. he posted on that long a$$ thread bout the speed sensor.. turned out he disconnected the wrong connection.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i highly doubt he got the wrong connection, but i cant say for sure as it wasnt my bike.

i guess if its not common, i shouldnt expect any issues with my bike then. if i can clean enough mud off to find the connection, ill see how it acts today :thumbsup:

·
Registered
163 Posts
good luck 8)

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey yeah, i was the dumbass that unplugged the wrong sensor... the problem with mine was that i unplugged the TPS connector instead of the actual Speed sensor... thus is fouled out my plug and it would not start, even after plugging it back in and cleaning off the spark plug... If you did the same thing.... new plug and your good to go! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, his bike ran just fine afterwards.

no adverse affects except it wasnt charging and started losing power. plugged it back in, jump started it, and its been just fine ever since. had me confused, guess its an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
281pony said:

no adverse affects except it wasnt charging and started losing power. plugged it back in, jump started it, and its been just fine ever since. had me confused, guess its an uncommon problem.

Hey 281....something else it the matter. No body is pointing fingers at you or your cousin for screwing up the quad, people are just trying to help...but the FACT of the matter is, by unplugging the speed sensor it will NOT cause what you are saying is happening.
Nobody has had this problem with there machine...and there is a reason for it. Its a speed sensor...thats it! It reads the output shafts rpms and as soon as it hits a certain rpm which is usually in 5th gear about 6500 motor rpms it wil retard the timing.
It has nothing to do with anything else. Its a simple magnet on the end of a plastic stick with a couple wires leading to it. It cant do anything else BUT disable the speed sensor. NOW, you will eventually get a check engine light...most get it at about 8-10 hours of riding (seems to depend of the type of riding) and to clear it you have to plug it back in and role it forward in 1st gear...then it will go out and you can unplug it again.
Maybe you guys DID just mess with the speed sensor...and something else went wrong at or right about the same time? Its not the speed sensor though.
here are the pics I posted a long time ago.....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know nobody is pointing fingers. i laughed because he called himself a dumbass.

i didnt physically see what was unplugged, but saw what happened. i wont hesitate to unplug mine then, just wanted to look into it a little more. wasnt a real comforting feeling thinking id have to tow his ass back 15 miles of trails :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
135boom said:
281pony said:
NOW, you will eventually get a check engine light...most get it at about 8-10 hours of riding (seems to depend of the type of riding) and to clear it you have to plug it back in and role it forward in 1st gear...then it will go out and you can unplug it again.
Expound a little on the roll in 1st gear part. Is that 1. plug it back in 2. start the quad 3. put in 1st gear and drive forward?

Does that clear other codes or just the code for the speed sensor.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
rich807 said:
135boom said:
281pony said:
NOW, you will eventually get a check engine light...most get it at about 8-10 hours of riding (seems to depend of the type of riding) and to clear it you have to plug it back in and role it forward in 1st gear...then it will go out and you can unplug it again.
Expound a little on the roll in 1st gear part. Is that 1. plug it back in 2. start the quad 3. put in 1st gear and drive forward?

Does that clear other codes or just the code for the speed sensor.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, exactly. When you get the light, pull over. Turn the quad off. Plug it back in. Start the quad and put it in 1st gear. Role it forward until it goes out (should just be like 15-20 feet. Turn the quad back off. Unplug it. Your good for another 8-10 hours or so. On mine its about 8 hours every time!
You can probably for-go the turning the machine on/off...but I just do that to be safe.

This will only clear the speed sensor code.....basically your solving the problem the computer is pitching a fit about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts