Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal.

Starter has been giving me problems for a while and it has finally crapped out. It just makes a whizz or wheeeeen sound like it is not catching onto anything inside. Hang with me cause everything new I have to work on is my first time. To get a ride in my buddy has to tow me onto a flat run and while in 2nd gear I pop the clutch and gass it to get er' going. I'm good till I stall. Or thats what I thought. After I rode it for a while the other day I stalled and said to myself, "I hope my buddy comes back to tow start me again." But I tried the starter button and it turned over. Whats going on?

I've done some research on this yet have yet to tear it apart yet. Starter seems to working fine but not hooking up to turn it over. Could this be a clutch in the starting system going bad? I haven't opened it up yet to figure it out just trying to get some first opinions. With the bad axle bearing I have now I'm doing them both at once.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
typical symptoms of a failing one-way. All raptors are plagued with this problem. Your one-way is basically your starter clutch as you call it. After the gear that the one way rides on is stripped bad enough it won't turn over any more period. Should get it fixed asap. Look to a website called raptortranny.com
look for one-ways or starter. This will give you directions as well as more info, and a link to find a better aftermarket one-way (L&A designs). good luck

·
Registered
77 Posts
need a one way bearing, for sure. It may catch at times, but not often.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O.k. so I know the answer will come back as change your one-way but I have other opinions.

After draining the oil I removed the crankcase cover and generator cover. As I was taking these covers off I was playing with the different gears and thought of the idea that they are not connecting properly there-for not transferring any connection to the 52 tooth gear. The one-way probably needs changing at this point, it is original but the 52-tooth gear is only spinning one way. So the one-way must have some life yet. Now all the gears look fine at first appearance and the bearings that seat inside them seem fine as well. What I'm trying to get at is there any way that there could be an alignment issue within these gears.

Here's why. At times I hit the starter and it sounds like the gear attached to the starter clangs and slips against the idler gear. Most of the time it makes that weeeeen or wizz sound like the starter gear is spinning free not catching onto the idler gear at all. I haven't loosened the bolts to the starter yet but is there any adjustability to bring the starter gear tighter to the idler gear?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bump, I need help

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone give insight in reguards to the alignment of the idler gears along with the starter gear and 52-tooth one-way gear?

·
Registered
32 Posts
just change the damned one way and it will be fine , :mad: one way goes bad in nearly 100% of 01' raptors....if theres only one topic in this whole entired message board this would be it, and its been posted 423582624956892456 damn times....

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
IronCityGuy said:
Can anyone give insight in reguards to the alignment of the idler gears along with the starter gear and 52-tooth one-way gear?
The allignment of these gears is not adjustable. If the bearings and gears look ok, and you said they did, the only item left is the oneway itself, and thier a know weak link.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Those gears only go in one way. Bight the bullet replace the one way. If you take it apart you will see the one way is spent. The spring is all stretched out.

Put it out of its misery. It had a good ride in its life time it will be missed. But you have to move on man. Just replace the one way and go for a ride!!!!!! :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.