Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i was riding and it was very muddy out i was ridin arpund for a while then i notice that the starter was spinning constantly. so i hit the kill switch then i pushed the switch to the run side and the atrter imediatly started up the engine like i hit the button but i didnt touch the start button. i have a hunch that it may be the starter button itself thats stuck or something but im not sure. this wouldnt be an issue of the starter clutch would it, the starting clutch has already been replced

·
Registered
521 Posts
is the starter solenoid (i think thats the part im thinking of) weld itself together on the inside?

·
Master of the Electron
15,031 Posts
The solenoid isn't welded closed or the starter would crank until you disconnect the battery.

Your start button IS stuck - as evidenced by the starter only coming on when you turn the run/stop switch on - the run/stop switch supplies 12V to the CDI, which supplies 12V to the solenoid (when you're in neutral).

If the start button is stuck on (or the blue/black wire from the start button is shorted to frame somewhere) when the CDI is turned on (and you're in neutral), then the starter will turn immediately.

·
Registered
521 Posts
yeah i realized my error when i reread his post again, i thought it was all the time

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am gonna check the wires then i gues because there is no mud or anything inside the button housing and the button isnt stuck . thanks for the help guys i will keep you posted

·
Master of the Electron
15,031 Posts
Use an ohm meter and measure from ground to the blue/black wire at the solenoid (key switch OFF) - if it is at near 0 ohms, the wire or the switch is shorted to ground... if it isn't let me know, something else is going on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the problem seemed to fix its self today. i took all the plastics and everything off and i taped up any wires that needed to be taped only a couple had rubbed but not all the way to the copper. i put it all back together and it stopped doing it. now a different problem sprung up. i was test driving it to make sure it was fixed and i was coming up the street in second and i noticed that when i went to go wheelie i hit the gas pretty good and all it did was sputter and back fire a little bit. i did put the air snorkel back on the air box, i am gonna take it off and see if this fixes the problem. it is jetted for a k&n airfilter, full exhaust and other mods that are done to it, maybe the snorkel doesnt let enough air flow in

·
Master of the Electron
15,031 Posts
If it's jetted for snorkel off, snorkel on is going to be way too rich.

·
Master of the Electron
15,031 Posts
Glad to help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts