Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is.

First off I can’t get enough of this site and all the info and all the interacting that goes on. No other site like it! :bump:

Here is my problem. :help:

A few months back I rolled my rappi about 20 feet down a hill. The bike is fine, a few scrapes here and there but other wise all good. I am fine as well, a few scrapes and scratches but I am healed now. :thumbsup:

I have been riding every weekend since then and feeling pretty good.

Now here is what I need to get over.

I am feeling a little gun shy about going up some hills. I will start going up some hills and stop. I have been trying to go up some not long hills but I can’t shake the feeling about rolling down the hill.

I have pushed myself and done it just fine but when I see a hill that is a little bit to steep I freeze up.

I am hoping that some of you may have felt something similar and found a way to get over it.

Not about to give up the rappi as I love riding a lot. :metal:

I will probably get flamed on this, but hey, a little tough love right?
:brick:

UPDATE 7/16/07

Alright, here is an update after everyone’s advice and input.

I went ridding near were I rolled my quad. After about an hour of ridding the trails I decided it was time to put everyone’s word of encouragement to work. :thumbsup: :crazy:

I started off on some easy hills, no problem. I then decided to hit some steeper hills. At first the old feelings of hesitation started up but after a few moments I decided screw it, it’s all or nothing. 8)

I got on some pretty steep hills and some long hills and made it up with no problems. I did this for about 2 hours going up and down different hills. I was not able to hit the hill that I rolled down as they had gated off that area. :mad:

I still had some of the same feelings but its like you guys said, I just did it, had some more confidence, and tried to focus. :beer:

Thanks to all of you for your advice and words of encouragement. I said it before and I will say it again, this is an awesome site. This is a great community to be apart of. :bump: :bump: :bump:

Next weekend, more hills! :metal: :burnout:

New update 7/23/07

This is the last update on this subject as I feel that I am doing a lot better, thanks to everyone here. :thumbsup:

This weekend I went ridding with a group of friends here in Lake Elsinore. There were 5 of us out there and we had a great time.

For what ever reason I ended up being the leader of this little expedition. :crazy:

Long story short, we hit some pretty big hills, some that I have previously been a little scared to try and had no problems. I did stall one time on a particularly steep hill, but I didn’t panic and hung on, hit the breaks, started her back up and continued on. :wootwoot:

I feel like I have gotten a lot of my confidence back. Now I am not over confident as I know I still have some work to do but I feel a lot better and more in control. :thumbsup:

I also had one of the best rides through some canyons I have ever had. 8)

I want to thank all of you as you guys made a big difference with your advice and encouragement. :bump: :bump: :bump:

Again, this site rocks. :metal: :metal: :metal:

Let’s ride!!!!! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Re: Ok, need some advice, I need to get over this.....fast!

Okay, my strategy for going up hills that should be left up to billy goats is this: stop thinking and haul a$$ up. As long as I am going up and aware of any obstacles I am good. It also make sense to have an escape route in case you need to turn around on account of you not being able to make it.

·
Registered
579 Posts

Go dune riding. You will go up and down hills that normally would make you freak. Not to mention riding the top of a big dune.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

Ive rolled mine more than anybody i kno and i kno wat ur sayin about bein gun shy but jus hit it and dont think about it then after a few successful climbs u will be fine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
429 Posts

I kinda went thru the same thing when I started riding my KX this year with some "A" calss enduro riders. The first enduro track we went to was sandy and had 2 dificult hill climbs with some technical turns at the top. I struggled severly the first 3 or 4 laps around until I realized that I needed to focus on riding and not the what if's like crashing. It is a dirt machine and it is gonna get some scrapes. I found that every instance that I had trouble was when I was aprehensive or hesitated. Simple fix to my problem = look, adjust, commit and do! You need to trust your self, it really is that easy.

·
Registered
13,279 Posts

I took my bad roll back in march and I broke two ribs even with a chest protector. And the two rides after I had the same gun shy problem. The only thing I can say is that it gets better, after a few trips and slowly working my way up to taking some big hills (up and down) I started feeling better. You'll be fine...just give it time and take it at YOUR pace. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
365 Posts

GEARHEAD9969 said:
I kinda went thru the same thing when I started riding my KX this year with some "A" calss enduro riders. The first enduro track we went to was sandy and had 2 dificult hill climbs with some technical turns at the top. I struggled severly the first 3 or 4 laps around until I realized that I needed to focus on riding and not the what if's like crashing. It is a dirt machine and it is gonna get some scrapes. I found that every instance that I had trouble was when I was aprehensive or hesitated. Simple fix to my problem = look, adjust, commit and do! You need to trust your self, it really is that easy.
+ 1

·
Registered
521 Posts

Only thing you can do to get over it is do it. Had the same problem when I started riding the trails for the first time since my wreck last year. Those sneeky trees still make me nervous, which is probably a good thing, thats why I crashed. Got to comfortable on the trail and was concentrating enough.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts

yea if your nervous, well scared then you shouldnt be doing it. your bound to f up when you not 100% surew of yourself. youll get the confidence bace eventually. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

dsan said:
Okay, my strategy for going up hills that should be left up to billy goats is this: stop thinking and haul a$$ up. As long as I am going up and aware of any obstacles I am good. It also make sense to have an escape route in case you need to turn around on account of you not being able to make it.
Thanks for your advice Dsan, I will continue to try as I have no intentions of giving up. :beer:

I will keep an eye out for those darn billy goats. I think they had something to do with my roll.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

BadRap said:
Go dune riding. You will go up and down hills that normally would make you freak. Not to mention riding the top of a big dune.
Thanks BadRap, I am planning on going to Glamis before the year is up. Possibly for New Years? 8)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

jesse said:
Ive rolled mine more than anybody i kno and i kno wat ur sayin about bein gun shy but jus hit it and dont think about it then after a few successful climbs u will be fine :thumbsup:
Thanks Jesse.

I think the frustrating part for me is that alot of these hills I have gone up before with out evan thinking about it. Now I second guess my self to much. :banghead:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

GEARHEAD9969 said:
I hear what your saying Gearhead9969.

The hesitation comes sometimes when I am almost half way up the hill. Then I either back down or just go for it. Kind of freaky though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

socalrappy700 said:
I took my bad roll back in march and I broke two ribs even with a chest protector. And the two rides after I had the same gun shy problem. The only thing I can say is that it gets better, after a few trips and slowly working my way up to taking some big hills (up and down) I started feeling better. You'll be fine...just give it time and take it at YOUR pace. :thumbsup:
How are your ribs now? Glad to hear you are ok!

I have not had a single problme with the down hill, just going up.

As I said before I am not giving up. Thanks for your advice! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,279 Posts

Ribs are ok now, sucked for the first month....only way I could sleep was in a chair.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

eddienali said:
jesse said:
Thanks Jesse.

I think the frustrating part for me is that alot of these hills I have gone up before with out evan thinking about it. Now I second guess my self to much. :banghead:
No problem...Be careful

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Havn2muchfun said:
Only thing you can do to get over it is do it. Had the same problem when I started riding the trails for the first time since my wreck last year. Those sneeky trees still make me nervous, which is probably a good thing, thats why I crashed. Got to comfortable on the trail and was concentrating enough.
I had been going up the same hill about 6 times prior to me taking a spill. I tried taking a difrent line and that was my mistake. Need to concentrate! :thumbsup:

·
GO BIG OR GO HOME
2,254 Posts

Hey atleast you didnt roll your bike going over 50mph :lol: try getting over that one :thumbsup: May take some time, you need more confidence in your self and your bike :thumbsup: GOOD LUCK MAN, you can do it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

I second the 'go dune riding' recommendation. With dune riding in general you have to take your aggression up a notch. Once you get comfortable on dunes the hills are easier to deal with.

I've found that speed generally helps on hills. Stopping or getting too slow is a recipe for roll-over. In the dunes when it gets ugly you can just turn down hill before you get too slow - hehe.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

SMIB fursure said:
yea if your nervous, well scared then you shouldnt be doing it. your bound to f up when you not 100% surew of yourself. youll get the confidence bace eventually. :thumbsup:
Thats what I need to is to get my confidence back.

Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts