Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the last 5 years i've been thinking of updating my 2004 Z400 with intake, Barker's exhaust, and Elka suspension, with something newer. But other things took priority and kept shoving this further back on the priority list.

Since I ride strictly trails (80% very sandy, 20% dirt), reverse is a must. That ruled out all but the KFX450R and Raptor 700.

I found a 2015 Raptor 700R SE for $6000 with 20 hrs on it, but haven't made any moves on it yet. It seems like a good price, but dont know how firm the seller is on the price.

I've read that the 700 feels more top heavy than the Z, but just how much? Is it really that noticeable on the trails if you're not on the ragged edge of control?

There's nothing wrong with my Z. It Runs like a top, and looks great, but it might be getting time for an update.

Has anyone else moved from a Z to the 700?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
My dad had a 2008 z400. Power difference is immediate. My buddy has a modified z400 (exhaust, open air box, huge filter, YFZ450 carb, all kinds of stuff. And still, the power difference is very noticeable. I don't get why people complain about the raptors handling. It's actually 3 lbs LIGHTER than the 400 and yes, a little more weight is concentrated up top compared to the Z but it's nothing that's gonna cause trouble. I'd say go for it, once you feel the torque of the raptor motor you'll never go back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is the fuel range on the 700? My 400 regularly gets 30-35 MPG with the exhaust, intake, and jetting. Would the 700 get around 25 MPG roughly?

I dont get why people complain about the handling either. Even though I have never been on one...yet.

My dad had a 2008 z400. Power difference is immediate. My buddy has a modified z400 (exhaust, open air box, huge filter, YFZ450 carb, all kinds of stuff. And still, the power difference is very noticeable. I don't get why people complain about the raptors handling. It's actually 3 lbs LIGHTER than the 400 and yes, a little more weight is concentrated up top compared to the Z but it's nothing that's gonna cause trouble. I'd say go for it, once you feel the torque of the raptor motor you'll never go back

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Please let us know the day you ride one. I like hearing how amazed people are! I was no different, i rode alotta 400's and had a 450 at the time. Found this ragged out, blown up 660 for cheap and was gonna do the ol' fix&sell for some extra cash. After i got her fixed, i rode it. Well, Its still in my garage, but that 450 isnt. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: morphrider

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Sounds like the machine I was looking at sold this afternoon. Bummer.....
Get with Cammy, he put his for sale. Much cheaper and wayyy better than the one you were looking at.

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Get with Cammy, he put his for sale. Much cheaper and wayyy better than the one you were looking at.
I couldn't agree more, cammy's looks awesome and alot of $$ in quality mods

Reactions: morphrider

·
Registered
342 Posts
I can give you my honest opinion on both the z400 and the Raptor since I owned both at the same time for awhile. I had a 2008 z400 with tons of motor work and upgrades and even with all of that, when I bought my first 700R with just a tuner and pipe it walked all over the Z. Its a night and day power difference, the Raptor 700 pulls hard in every gear whereas the z400 even with the best mods would fall off on the top end fast. In the low end the torque is far superior on the 700R, hills you can pull hard up in 3rd and never shift down, the z400 you had to keep revved high to get the power. As for handling, both my z400 and 700 had extended axles in the rear. At 50 inches on both I felt far more confident on the Raptor, due to the seating position feeling better, the handlebars better positioned, and my favorite of all, the suspension on the Raptor being far superior from the factory. My z400 had reservoir shocks from the factory and even with the best dialing in, they just could not compare to the ones on the 700R. I also felt my z400 had a stiffer seat that left my back sore after riding. As for reliability, I'd say both are bulletproof, I changed my oil and did maintenance religiously so neither ever let me down. My recommendation is don't even hesitate for a second, sell the z400 and get the Raptor. You'll be happy you did, I know I was kicking myself for not making the change sooner. I'm on my second 700R now after I sold my first one to my buddy, and its still a love affair going strong!

Reactions: ian77

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The raptor motor will definitely stay healthier longer. The Z has higher compression and they start to burn oil after a while. The raptor on the other hand has low compression and the rings will stay sealed for a long long time.

Also, the trans is night and day. Yamaha is the only major brand that pins their shift forks. This creates a very strong transmission. On WOT drag races the tranny on the Z feels sloppy. But the raptor will shift very nicely, smooth yet firm no matter how hard you are on the gas.

Cooling is also much better on the raptor. My dads and my buddy's Z would get hot. The fans would run very often, and my buddy even overheated his once. The raptors radiator sits up higher and farther away from the motor than the Z. This prevents a lot of dirt from clogging it up. Even on 90+ degree days, my raptor stays running cool

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went from the '14 Z to my current '16 700R. I'm very happy with the Raptor and glad I changed. The Raptor has a much better power band, especially down low. It'll idle in gear and not stall and the power is great. The handling is better and brakes are way better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do the pre 2015 compare to the 2015 and newer? I read the differences online, but how do they compare in reality?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not a huge difference, the frames are the same. Where the new ones shine are in the heads. With a proper BIG 3 they push close to 60hp or so. Other than that there isn't a whole lot of difference. I've ridden both and the new 15+ models feel pretty much the same as the 06-14 models. If you want more power power out of the gate with just a BIG 3 than the newer ones are great for that, though you pay considerably more for them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's a good deal for a 2016. Is it the 700R model?

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's a sweet deal! Post a pic with the new ride when you get it.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Ouch. The drive there may pass quickly, but the drive home is going to be awful! Good luck with it all, cant wait to see pics. What color is the SE for that year?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anything that is moderately close to me that is comparable to this machine is between the 7000-7500 range.

This is a picture of the exact machine from the seller.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts