Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying some power tools for myself this christmas to make working on my raptor 700 easier. I know I want a power impact wrench and a floor jack. Anyone know who makes a good inexpensive power impact wrench? Also what would be some other inexpensive power tools that would make things easier???

Thanks

·
Dirty Lil Bastard
602 Posts
There are many uses for an angle grinder and a bike stand (save your back).

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I just got a cordless 1/2 impact. A bit overkill for the raptor but it was cheap on Black Friday and WOW I love this thing. I would pay full price for it no problem:lol: I used it for stripping down 2 of my 660s and a few other projects. Have yet to find a bolt that it won't get off. I know it's not the most powerful impact but 200ft lbs in a cordless is impressive IMO. I always got a normal Impact for the tough ones though. I got mine for $89 with a battery and charger. I already have other craftsman drills so I have extra battery's anyway.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00917090000

Grinder is the most used power tool in my barn aside from impacts. I use cut off wheels to cut any steel that I need cut and flap disks and the good old grinding wheel. Don't buy a Kawasaki one from TCS for $30:rofl: they don't last to long I have been through 3. Now i bought a nice one

·
VIP
1,057 Posts
Make sure to only use the impact for disassembly and always use a torque wrench when re-assembling, especially on suspension pivot points and anything on the engine.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Yeah I spin the bolts and nut in with the impact but do not tighten them:lol: the use the Tq wrench or a ratchet.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All great info!!! Thanks! Yeah I figured the impact wrench would be a bit much for tightening hahaha. What is a good stand to buy, that would be nice to have.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
You can never have too many lights AND a clean working area!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah Ive learned a clean working area is pretty damn important after loosing little parts and going crazy trying to find em hahaha

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can never have too many lights AND a clean working area!
x2 also don't skimp on your toolboxes/organization. I haven't used my air tools much on my Raptor so far if you don't have them already start with the basics and get yourself a good mechanics tool set, make sure your collection of hand tools is complete. I also recommend creating a collection of fasteners. I have a huge collection all separated and organized by size, start with the basics then move on to the specialty stuff, and keep it organized, I can not tell you how many trips to the store it has saved me. Nothing worse than driving in to town for that one nut, bolt, etc. that you just have to have.

Those cordless impacts are cool, but I will stand by my Ingersoll-Rand. In five years (if your lucky) those battery's will probably stop holding a charge but a good IR will be pumping out the same amount of torque 20 years from now if not for longer if its taken care of. And they just sound so cool.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hahaha yeah not sure that I want to spend that much just yet. Since all I will be using it for is my raptor and a go kart/dune buggy. Yeah I bought a good size tool cart that I can add on to not too long ago because yes not being organized and not knowing where stuff is, is a pain in the ass! I learned that real quick hahaha

What do you think a basic air compressor and air impact wrench would run me?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
What do you think a basic air compressor and air impact wrench would run me?
Before I purchased my Snap-On compressor I had a "Husky" air compressor that lasted for a few years. It still ran perfect when I sold it to my neighbor a few years ago. That compressor was around $300 or so.

For an impact, I used a 3/8" Blue-Point IR knock-off from Snap-On. I've had that impact for years and still use it alot, it's the right amount of torque for ATV wheels and the dial adjusts easily where-as my Snap-On 3/8" impact has too much torque and the dial is a pain in the dick to adjust.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
x2 also don't skimp on your toolboxes/organization. I haven't used my air tools much on my Raptor so far if you don't have them already start with the basics and get yourself a good mechanics tool set, make sure your collection of hand tools is complete. I also recommend creating a collection of fasteners. I have a huge collection all separated and organized by size, start with the basics then move on to the specialty stuff, and keep it organized, I can not tell you how many trips to the store it has saved me. Nothing worse than driving in to town for that one nut, bolt, etc. that you just have to have.

Those cordless impacts are cool, but I will stand by my Ingersoll-Rand. In five years (if your lucky) those battery's will probably stop holding a charge but a good IR will be pumping out the same amount of torque 20 years from now if not for longer if its taken care of. And they just sound so cool.
Yeah the batterys will need replaced after a few years just depends on how you use them. The nice thing about the cordless impact is it is very mobile and you can use it without a airline and compressor. I'm in need of a good air impact now just don't know what to get. I'm not a fan of IR at all. My harbor freight impacts seem to do better for some reason. There smaller ones must be better but we have a 1" IR impact and it is a POS. Won't pull the lugnuts off the semis. That experience made me not want to try any of the other ones. The worst part is the impact cost almost $1000 for it. We now just use the $129 1" impacts from Harbor freight and when they go bad(4-6yrs) you just scrap them and buy another. I got a cheapo impact now its a POS :lol:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So how many ft-lbs of torque should I buy and should I get a 3/8" or an 1"? Ive been looking at ones between 240 and 345 ft-lbs

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So how many ft-lbs of torque should I buy and should I get a 3/8" or an 1"? Ive been looking at ones between 240 and 345 ft-lbs
This is the top drawer of my toolbox at home. I tried to snap a good picture but it's too hard.

For pneumatic, I use two 3/8" impacts and a 1/2" impact. I also have cordless Snap-On 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" impacts as well as a DeWalt and a Makita L-ion 1/4" cordless impacts as well. The Blue-Point IR knockoff 3/8" is around 150 ft lbs and the Snap-On 3/8" is around 300 ft lbs or so. The 1/2" CP is 800 ft lbs reverse torque, 600 fwd and at the time I purchased it from the Snap-On truck it was the strongest out there.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Get a 3/8" IMO, and I think the torque of the ones you're looking at should work great. Just be sure to turn it down when you're tightening wheels and don't use it to tighten anything else really. If you have any extra money get an air ratchet.. saves your wrists!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damn, one of these days I hope to acquire that many tools that my first droor looks like that haha. All I have done to my raptor so far is the big 3 mods and small mods here and there like changing my front sprocket and fixing shit that I break hahaha. Im learning as I go. So I have the esential tools for that stuff and regular maintenance, just wanting to make life easier with some power! I just got into motor sports last winter so Im learning what I need as I go. Im about to get a set of sand tires so I will be changing tires out more than I used to.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I have plenty of money but I think Im just going to start out with an electric one and as I get more into it Ill eventually get an air one. Im sure the cordless electric one will always come in handy at some point after I get an air one.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Get the basics if you don't have them already. A quality set of metrics (wrenches, sockets, allens), screwdrivers and nut drivers with comfortable handles, and a tap & die set hah! The Craftsman tool quality has gotten alot better and their prices are good. Get a magnetic tray. Get a storage bin and save all your unused nuts, bolts, and washers.

If you're going to look into pneumatic tools, get IR or reputable (Snap-On, MAC, Matco, CP, etc.) and get an impact, ratchet, and die grinder in that order. A retractable hose reel makes life easy as well. Keep your tools oiled.

Buy quality cordless tools if you want them, and if you're going to take them on the road with you get the ones with cases. I prefer Snap-On, Makita, and DeWalt but they're are other reputable cordless tools as well. Extra batteries are a must, and keep them cool. Get a powerful cordless drill and flashlight first, and then a strong 1/4" impact and a not so strong driver.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts