Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the right front caliper and converted it into a rear caliper.
It was done for under $15 as long as you have access to a right angle grinder and drill, or something that can be used just.
I did this project becasue my rear caliper was damaged in an accident.
I tried to find a replacement caliper for the rear for, ebay's cheapest was $70..I know a lot of us converted over to the yfz45/700r dual front calipers so we still have the old ones sitting around. Thats how I came to use mine.
First, I took the slider mount of the old rear. you'll have to take the front slider mont off the front caliper.
Second, put the rear caliper slider mount on the front. The holes miraculously line up perfect.
Third, take back off the slider mount, as the old brake line mount needs cut. Its shown in the pic with red-line. a thin profile bolt or plug bolt can be used to plug the old hole. I used the thin profile bolt, as my local hardware didn't carry any plugs with a m10X1.25 size.
Fourth, a 11/32 hole will have to be drilled into the side of the housing, and it will have to be tapped by a m10X1.25 size tap.
the mounts may hve to be shimmed by a washer or two on the stock mount. I made my own mounting spacers as I don't have the kit for the rear-end, only the slim mount bracket.
After looking at the pics it should be self-explanatory. Everything ran to around $15, blots, tap, drill bit, spacers and washers.
The caliper will have to be bled off the mount.
Yes, Iknow the caliper and the brakeline need cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have just one quick remark about this!! If the stock front caliper wasn't good enough for you to stop one narrow tire is it going to be good enought for you to stop 2 wider tires with alot more resistance??

I think it's great you figured out how to do this and maybe it will work fantastic, just thought I would point this out!! Good Job :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The rear brake doesn't have to work nearly as hard as the fronts because as you brake, the weight of the quad transfers to the front wheels.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Fair enough, was just curious!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear brake, as I was examing it while it was in pieces is the same basic design as the two front calipers. Same piston, somewhat same slider bolts, with the exception of the housing (which is very similar), and the e-brake integration. I bled the system and it works flawlessly so far with me pushing it around and locking the brake up, but it hasn't been tested while under mechanical load.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quick question!! are there rebuild kits for these things? I bought a rear from ebay for my project quad and the guy polished it up with a wire wheel and cut the rubber boots on the caliper! Doorknob :mad:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yup thats it RT, thats great to find out. Thanks for the help, I just thought about it and my manual is at home!! so thanks alot

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The 450 has a dual rear, a dealer I spend far to much said for me $150, list is over $200.
I don't know about the 700 having it or not but the prices would be close.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
700R just has the single rear and a new disc for 07, fronts are now dual piston though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts