Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i adjusted valves last weekend, motor cold .006 intake .008 exhaust. went for a ride yesterday and when the motor gets up to operating temp there is a distinct valve tap. took it home checked them again intake .006 exhaust i couldn't get a accurate measure. it seems that i put the feeler in from the front it slides right in but is hard to pull out, from side to side slides in and out but was way out of spec. is this Normal? if not what is the correct way to check ? put the feeler in from the side, not head on?? oh and its got a proflo intake thats it..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Did you set up the valves by just turning the engine to TDC, and if so did you verify that you were at the proper TDC, if you are out by one turn of the proper TDC, you will have the cam at TDC with the cam in the overlap position and your valve adjustment will be inaccurate, it must be done in the cam position that the cam has both lobes down which then allows you to adjust the valves properly, When at TDC, rock the crank back and forth 14/ turn and the valves should not move, if they do, rotate the engine one more turn and recheck, if they do not move with the 1/4 turn test, adjust the valves............

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i made sure of that, i waited for the intake valves to close then turned to I on the crank, no movement of valves if i turn it back and forth. should i put the feeler in strait on the valve or should i slide it in the side?

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
whichever method shows the largest gap is the one to use for adjustment... in your case, use the side to side - if it shows a gap, there's a gap - if it's too large, adjust it down. Recheck at all angles you can and adjust until NONE of the angles show more than your desired gap.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
yeah i made sure of that, i waited for the intake valves to close then turned to I on the crank, no movement of valves if i turn it back and forth. should i put the feeler in strait on the valve or should i slide it in the side?
You are probably sliding the feeler in to deep so it is catching on the sharp edges of the valve or retainer, just place it in far enough to get between the valve stem and rocker, I use a handmade tool, which is a screw with a #2 robertson head, with rubber hose to cover the threads and tighten the adjuster down finger tight, and tighten the lock nut, then pull the feeler out, it should pull with a little resistance. Do not push the feeler into far..........:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there supose to be sharp angels tho, or does somthing wear that should be replaced?
That is an awesome idea about the screw, i looked for an hour last night to try to find somthing because there just isn't enough room for needle nose. I think i got it last night tho im going to take it for a ride this weekend and see how she does. Thanks again guys.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Yes, there are edges that can sometimes be tough to get past, especially with the exhaust valves at the hard to reach angle...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts