Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when should i get it done??? im not gonna tackle this myself, how much is the "stealer" charging for this , i can handle everything else on my own i need just the valves done

·
Registered
182 Posts
do a search for it and it will have easy directions with pictures on how to do it. It is really easy to do. Just get the right tools and it wont take more than 2 hours for your first time. Then after that like a half hour. Anyone can do it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In the back of the owners manual it has a maintenance schedule. I know the first one should be done at 20 hours. The dealer I took mine to was about $60

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
read the post about it, seriously i wouldnt pay to have it done. super easy, first time it took me like an hour. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Everyone keeps saying something about a special tool needed to adjust the valves? What kind of tool is needed and if I've never taken a motor apart before do you think I'll be able to do it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
There is one for the tappet adjuster ...but you can use fingers and or needle nose as well. What you will need is

Torque wrench
3/8 Drive ratchet
10mm, 12mm, 22mm "deepwell"
Screw drivers both standard and phillips
14mm Allen 3/8 drive and a standard set of metric 3/8 allens
Socket for the plug to be removed
Feeler gauges
zip lock bag x 2

The valves are basic and IMO if you can change oil...you can do them. I did a write up with pics on EVERY step here.

http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=10134.0

M

·
Registered
478 Posts
super easy if you follow the pictures in the archived thread section! Just remember to us the large feeler gage on the exhaust side!! And also use your torque wrench when tightening back down

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks! Where's the best place to buy a feeler gauge?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I recommend the angled feeler gauges that you can take apart making it easier to use.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I also have a question. When I did mine the first time a coupla days ago they were dead in spec. So should I wait till 160 hours like the manual says or should I check them again in another 10 hours or so?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Heh...I've got well over 50-60 hours on mine, and I've never checked the valves. I probably wont touch them until I do a pinton/cam/port/polish later on this year...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Checked mine last night and followed Mpeavler's thread. Easy as pie. Mpeavler is right, the hardest thing is about it is removing the heat shield.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Awesome....glad it saved ya some money!! It's not hard...just have to trust yourself that it's going to be ok LOL

Great work!
Mike

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yep Mpeavlers instructions are great. I have done it twice now and the last time only took about 30-40 minutes total.
To me the hardest part was not the heat sheild but second guessing myself after I buttoned it back up the first time. "Did I use the right gauge"? "Did I leave anything in there"? What if I didnt feel it correctly? Maybe I did them backwards? Mental gremlins are the worst. Needless to say it is all good and very easy. Double and triple check everything and you are good to go. And use a torque wrench!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Dido! His instructions are great and it's really not as difficult as it sounds. I learned a valuable lesson so thought I'd pass it along. Be very careful when you tighten the valve adjustment screw. I was using a larger torque wrench that I use on my cars and ended up tightening too much which caused it to break it off! :eek: I'm going to buy a smaller torque wrench tomorrow to finish the job. Good news is if you do break it, don't worry the screw just comes out with your fingers, very easy to replace. I have to admit, I freaked out at first thinking I would have take the whole motor apart to fix it! Luckily Mike was able to straighen me out! Thanks dude! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts