Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

first thing I want to say: This is an awesome forum. Really nice how ppl help over here.

But ok, I would like to do the 'casual checkups' on my rappy myself. Because at least you know
it's done right ;)

Valve adjustment is one of them. I have to say I'm a complete beginner at that and I don't understand it completely.
I searched for posts about the valves and I downloaded the manual. But my English aint THAT good :help:to understand it all.

Gonna explain it using the manual:
http://i18.tinypic.com/49hzszk.jpg -> this is all clear :grin_nod:
http://i10.tinypic.com/343okfp.jpg
-The first question mark: What's up with the mm's ?
is that the 'tolerance' (dno of this is a good word, srry) ?
-second question mark: I think I just undertood this picture lol :lol:so its ok
http://i10.tinypic.com/4fuulj5.jpg -> everything ok

So The only thing I actually have to know is what size of thickness gauge I have to use for measuring the clearance.
What mm's :3question: I think it's something with the box I don't understand ?

thanks for reading

·
Registered
16 Posts
"The numbers in the box" is the tolerance for the valves. The gap for the intake valves should be somewhere between 0,09mm and 0,13mm. The gap for the exhaust valve should be somewhere between 0,16mm and 0,20mm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, thanks ;)

So if take a feeler gauge 0.10mm for the intake en I make sure that 'fits' nicely, then the valves are kinda perfect ?

(and a 0.18 for the exhaust lets say)

·
Registered
429 Posts
You may want to get the factory manual. It has all the tolerences plus the cyl index position information. The manual is stated both inch and metric.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dfeat said:
ok, thanks ;)

So if take a feeler gauge 0.10mm for the intake en I make sure that 'fits' nicely, then the valves are kinda perfect ?

(and a 0.18 for the exhaust lets say)
Correct ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
A few things to remember:

1. Always turn the engine COUNTER clockwise when doing valves
2. Also remember it's a 4 stroke and you must be on the right cycle in order to check/adjust your valves and at Top dead center.
3. It must sit for hours after running to allow it "the engine" to be room temperature...if not all your time is wasted.
4. Working around gas...have proper vent where your working.
5. Take your time...no need to hurry. Make sure you quad is clean so your not dropping dirt, sand, grime etc into the engine
6. Proper tools...make everything SOOOO much easier. Buy them...they will be worth it if you plan on maintaining the machine.
7. Change oil after adjusting your valves is usually a good practice in case some dirt, dust did get into the engine.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice guys !

Now, an additional quastion :help:

about the right cycle thingy: Can I see it somewhere or 'feel' it by something ?
And if I set my intake valves I assume you have to turn 180 degrees next if I want to do the exhaust valves ? because that's another cycle ?

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Take the plug out and stick your finger over the hole and bump the engine over with the starter. When the compression blows your finger off your on the right stroke- stop right there and check were your indexes are ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would look at the index marker and make sure it's lined up. Also I would "no offense to anyone" not just put a finger on the opening...but instead turn it over by hand and place a long flat screwdriver down the hole once you find TDC and watch for it to hit the peak and start the decline then you know where the exact TDC really is. Lastly you can also tell because if your on the wrong cycle there will be NO clearance on the valves. You will see when the cams face the farthest away from the valves..."Refering to the lobes". Then reference the marker and your set.

Mike

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
i adjusted my valves today, this thread helped alot. had my bike for 6 months and put a TON of hours on it so this was well overdue. Honestly feels like a new bike seems like it runs way better, The exhaust valves were a tad loose and intake was real tight didnt have any play at all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just got done doing mine this weekend. To turn the crankshaft you need a 22mm deep socket, I had to run out and get that.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
someone that knows what they are doing needs to make a big photo by photo detailed instructional on how to do a valve adjustment.... that would be cool! I would bow down to anyone that takes the time to do it :grin_nod:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I will pick up this task....Thursday along with EVERYTHING needed...and should have it posted by Friday night for you guys.

Mike

·
Registered
556 Posts
Pending they get my last tool in, which was 3 day shipped from Cali....at the latest I will post it Saturday.

Best regards,
Mike

1 - 20 of 35 Posts