Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's valve float feel like? Wouldn't it occur in every gear or just certain ones. What does it feel like when happens.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Will there be any back firing or anything?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Will there be any back firing or anything?
If you can rev the engine high enough to get the valves to float, there isnt any backfiring, you could though have the piston make contact with the valves. Should you have enough clearance bewteen the piston and valves, your engine bascially just stops making power, the sound of the engine does change but to put it into words is hard.............

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
but if the rev limiter was set correctly valve float couldnt happen right?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Willy I only feel it in 5th WOT
In 2nd and 3rd I can bounce it of rev limitor and never feel the power loss if I want. In 5th at WOT it just quits pulling like I hit a governor then keep at same speed(RPM) I have dynatek FS and heavy duty springs in a head from a reputable builder. Could this be the 5th gear rev limitor? As I'm running 15/38 on 20" tires that ate more like 19.5' really. In 5th gear will it bounce off rev limitor in 5th like 2nd and 3rd or just hit limitor then not rev back to it as quick being it's geared so much higher than 2nd and 3rd? I don't wanna ruin head as I have close to 1100 in it alone.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Lower gears will have a smaller effect on valve float since the engine revs faster and the amount of time valvefloat has to show up. The power will flatten out when valve float occurs since the cylinder isnt sealed up to produce power.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lower gears will have a smaller effect on valve float since the engine revs faster and the amount of time valvefloat has to show up. The power will flatten out when valve float occurs since the cylinder isnt sealed up to produce power.
Would it show up in 4th Bo?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does it feel like? What I feel is like the ignition or gas cut out for .3 seconds then it's going fine again. Is that it or would I keep feeling it if I stayed in the throttle?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
What does it feel like? What I feel is like the ignition or gas cut out for .3 seconds then it's going fine again. Is that it or would I keep feeling it if I stayed in the throttle?
Are you sure it is for .3 seconds.................lol..............

If it is in 5th gear only and you havent modded the speed sensor or your speed sensor has been over ridden by an aftermarket cdi, then I'm not sure what you are experiencing since it should valve float in any gear...........

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^willy I got a dynatek with DL curves and the blue wire mod.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also willy would I feel it for more than .3 seconds if I stayed in throttle? Does anybody know if you hit rev limitor in 5th does it bounce or just stop pulling rpm as quick?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
but if the rev limiter was set correctly valve float couldnt happen right?
If you are referring to the engines max rpm rev limiter, Yes it cant happen. If it is the top speed rev limiter, this is what you may be finding.......this is supposed to slow the engines power down in 5th, I deleted mine so I could run a 12-48 gear ratio with 19.5 tires........:)

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The first time it happened I thought clutch slipped for a second. It feels funny idk how to explain it.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
And yes, you would feel it for more then .3 seconds, it would sort of hold the speed at a certain predetermined speed and or engine rpm............

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like a speed limitor does?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And yes, you would feel it for more then .3 seconds, it would sort of hold the speed at a certain predetermined speed and or engine rpm............
I have no tach how can I check that without it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts