Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i adjusted the valves per the "sticky" as montioned... now it has trouble starting. when it does start, it's loud as hell! i did/re checked the valves three times.....still not quite right. Does this usually mean they are still loose or tight?? any thought?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
If they're way out of whack it could be either, the hard start makes me think it's tight and the rattle makes me think it's loose. I've made the mistake of doing the adjustments on the wrong stroke before, that'll cause all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if your at TDC the valves themselves should have no "play" in them....correct..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
downward??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm starting to think i adjusted them on the wrong stroke now...i turned the crank coounter clockwise until the notches lined up. when i did this the valves had no "play". then i started the adjustment...

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
There are 4 cycles in a raptor (or any other four stroke) engine; intake (down), compression (up), power (down), and exhaust (up).

You need to be at TDC of the compression stroke to adjust the valve lash.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
i remember it as this: Suck, squeeze, bang, blow....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok. so as i'm nearing the compression the valves should be moving "up", then once the notches are aligned, make the adjustment.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok. thank a lot for the help!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
one more thing.. once i align the notches and adjust the INTAKE valves, i can adjust the EXHAUST valves on the same stroke...(in other words i can adjust the intakes then adjust the exhaust right after without doin the stroke again)

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
You obviously adjusted at the wrong TDC.

Watch the valves as you turn the engine CCW. Watch the exhaust valves fully close and the intakes just barely start to open as the 'I' in the inspection window shows. You are now at TDC after Exhaust stroke - the wrong one. If you rock the crankshaft back and forth here, you'll see both sets of valves moving a bit.

Now turn the crank CCW one full turn to the next time you see the 'I'. This is TDC after Compression stroke - the right one. Verify by rocking the crankshaft back and forth about 1/8 turn each way - the valves (both intake and exhaust) should not move at all.

NOW adjust the clearance of all valves.

THen turn engine CCW a few times, return to TDC after Compression (as described above) and verify correct clearance - adjust and check again as necessary.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
You obviously adjusted at the wrong TDC.

Watch the valves as you turn the engine CCW. Watch the exhaust valves fully close and the intakes just barely start to open as the 'I' in the inspection window shows. You are now at TDC after Exhaust stroke - the wrong one. If you rock the crankshaft back and forth here, you'll see both sets of valves moving a bit.

Now turn the crank CCW one full turn to the next time you see the 'I'. This is TDC after Compression stroke - the right one. Verify by rocking the crankshaft back and forth about 1/8 turn each way - the valves (both intake and exhaust) should not move at all.

NOW adjust the clearance of all valves.

THen turn engine CCW a few times, return to TDC after Compression (as described above) and verify correct clearance - adjust and check again as necessary.
This is exactly the way I do it, man am I proud .............

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
If only they explained it this way in the manual!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts