Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed a 11-1 piston and a stage 1 hotcam. set the valve lash to .20mm on intake and.25mm on the exhaust per the hot cam instructions. and now my valves make a lot of noise so i also set them back to factory specs .12mm on intake and .17 on exhaust. i still have the same valve train noise. is loud valve train noise just a normal characteristics of the stage one hotcam

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Is it timed perfectly? Use hotcams valve clearences. Did you use any assembly lube? They could be making noise cause they are dry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i used assembly lube and poured oil on all the valves the timing is set perfectly i just have alot of valve train noise. the motor runs good. i am wondering if it is not normal after a stage 1 hot com install

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Can you tell what the noise is exactly coming from? Did u do the valves hot or cold?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I set them cold. I am sure the noise is coming from the valves. i guess i should pull the head cover off and see whats going on

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I don't have any experience with atv cams yet but it could just be due to the valve lobes being higher and narrower than stock. I have changed cams in a few auto engines and especially when going to a hotter cam there is more valve train noise!! Have you kept the valve covers off when starting it to make sure there os oil getting to the cam? Just a thought, sorry if it's no help!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes i pulled the valve cover and started it and got covered in oil. so i am sure its getting enough oil. and yes i am starting to agree with you think the different cam profile is the reason for the noise. i think i am just being paranoid.thanks guys for the help. if any one who has just installed one of these cams recently could tell me for sure that the hot cam produced more noise than the stock cam i would be happy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is very common for people to complain about. The larger cams (no matter what brand) will always make more noise. It is a clicking noise that amost sounds like the valve clearnace is to big.

Large cams just make more noise. After a while you get use to it and it won't bother you any more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that is kinda of what i figured i just needed to hear someone else say it. thanks guys for all the help i apprediate it greatly

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry guys i am computer illiterate. not only that i dont know if you could hear over the exhaust in a recording. i am sure you would have be standing next to it to hear the noise

·
Registered
793 Posts
I just did the same .. 11.1 piston and stage 1 webcam. Its clicking clicking clicking. The machnic who worked on it was worried than a muuuu. He had to call rocket factory which is who I bought it from. RF said that it is a normal sound.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What about web stage 2 and 3 are these noisy too ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts