Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No valve tick. replaced top end gasket kit started bike up and valves have a tick. checked to make sure oil was getting to top end and its getting plenty of oil. could simply pulling cam out and putting back in be enough to throw valves out of wack? any info would be great. Thanks.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Did you install the cam tensioner plunger, spring and center bolt last, AFTER completing the head cover torqueing (as you shoud)? If, incorrectlym you installed before tightening down the head cover, the tensioner is fully extended and putting a damaging load on the chain and cam - valve ticking could be an indicator.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
No valve tick. replaced top end gasket kit started bike up and valves have a tick. checked to make sure oil was getting to top end and its getting plenty of oil. could simply pulling cam out and putting back in be enough to throw valves out of wack? any info would be great. Thanks.
Valves must be reset after any dismantling of the valve cover, and as Quad said, make sure you have the tensioner reset.............
Also is the cam still in time with the crank.................

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i adjusted valves to 0.0040 with feeler gauge and still has a tick, the timing is dead on as far as i can tell. if i had the cam in wrong would this cause a tick? i read another post that siad an aftermarket cam will but nothing about a stock cam

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
180 degrees out on the cam is fine... anything in between is NOT.

Is it possible that it's always had the tick (valves DO make a little noise always), and that you're just NOTICING it now, due to the new work done - this usually causes one to pay more attention to little noises that were ignored before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts