Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike has quite a few hours on it but runs like a champ with no backfiring or misses.......starts right away and plug is perfect colour......with that being said, what kind of symptoms tell me that my valves need to be adjusted? I would like to keep the bike running well and just wondering if the valves should be played with or if i should just leave them alone if the bike runs fine?......Thanks guys.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks elmerkit.....anybody else with any info?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Yeah the valve clatter is a good sign. Also it will be hard to start!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Both of mine run just fine but I just got done adjusting the valves on both of them. They were both too tight and I ended up having to loosen them up some. The smaller engines, from what I've read, tighten up through time instead of loosening up. To give you an example, the intake valves are suppose to have .09 to .13 mm and mine were around .07 mm or about there. I adjusted them out to .12 mm.

On the exhaust it's suppose to be .16 to .20 and mine were around .14 to .15. I adjusted them out to around .19. I started it up and there is a little bit of valvetrain noise from them being a little looser but it's better for them to be on the looser side of the spec then to be too tight. And again, since they tighten up through time I went ahead and favored the looser side of the specs but still made sure to keep the clearance within the spec of course.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Mine were way too tight and I adjusted them. They made no noise and didn't cause any problems to how the bike was running. I know that when they get at a certain point, the bike will be hard/impossible to start. The valves tend to tighten with time, not loosen.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Yes do it yourself! It is very easy, the hardest part is taking off the front plastics and tank etc. Once your in there it's just a matter of rotating the motor to TDC and then using your feeler guage. Simple :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Hey Blue im going to e-mail you all the info for valve ajustment.

Stand-by buddy LOL

·
Desert Racer
679 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Sure Bill just PM me your e-mail ill do it right away.

Have a good adjustment day LOL

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts