Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just had the valve guides replaced and a valve job done to it. im assuming they re seated them and whatever else they do in a valve job. and i also had a hc2 installed. adjusted the valves properly tdc and .10 intake and .18 exhaust

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84269

my question is how loud are they supposed to be? it seems real "ticky" hard to explain could it be my oil amsoil 0-40 atv? thinker oil maybe?

i know that people have explained it as being a sewing machine sound which it is just seems loud.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
In my previous experiences, the 'ticking' noise you describe is loose valve clearance.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm i can check the clearance again its been 150 miles since ive checked them after the first 30mins of break in.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Have they been ticking ever since you first started it up from installing new parts?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no the stock system was loud also about the same maybe a little louder now but overall its just as loud..ive never heard another raptor run before so i have no idea what its supposed to sound like.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm sure it's normal if it sounded about the same when it was new. If your timing and valve clearance is correct, just ride it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i didnt buy it new it was used. i think ill double check the valves just to be sure but so far it runs great love the hc2 cam. i went full blast down a road this weekend and i couldent hit the rev limiter it was going so fast my front tires started wobbling so i slowed down lol.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ya I hear ya bro. I know exactly what that front end wobble is like! :lol:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
If you did not check at the proper TDC, you may have set the valves when the valves are in overlap, if so, you will need to readjust them when the crank is at TDC compression stroke............

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you did not check at the proper TDC, you may have set the valves when the valves are in overlap, if so, you will need to readjust them when the crank is at TDC compression stroke............
what? i did it by the book but with the hc2 cam. The mark on the timing gear lined up with the top of the motor and the little line in the casing right?

not sure what your talking about."hope i didnt just f up my new motor..."

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
what? i did it by the book but with the hc2 cam. The mark on the timing gear lined up with the top of the motor and the little line in the casing right?

If the valves are set at the wrong TDC, they may have clearance well above what you set them at, in overlap, the cam is closing the exhaust valves and opening the intakes, when you adjust the valves, always rock the crank 1/8 turn, back and forth from the TDC mark, if the valves move they are in the overlap state, if they do not move unless you turn a half turn or more, you are at the proper TDC.............:)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

You did it right. If the marks lined up, your timing is right.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i will double check them right away then. but im pretty sure i did them right.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
You did it right. If the marks lined up, your timing is right.
You must be at the correct TDC at the top of the compression stroke, if you are at TDC when the valves are on overlap, you can not set the valves accurately.............:)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well going by the book having both lines marked on the head and on the crank is the correct TDC right?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think what willykiller is trying to say is you could have the marks lined up at the top of the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke and is trying to show you an easy way to make sure you are on the compression stroke which I believe is the one that should have both intake and exhaust closed at TDC and slightly before and after it.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I think what willykiller is trying to say is you could have the marks lined up at the top of the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke and is trying to show you an easy way to make sure you are on the compression stroke which I believe is the one that should have both intake and exhaust closed at TDC and slightly before and after it.
Right on...............:)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no, fires right up and runs great. so all i do is rock it back and fourth 1/8 of a turn and put the feeler gauge in there? i would like to set them properly as i thought i was.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts