Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like i'm the only one who has ticking valves...
anyone else have valves that tick really loudly while the engine is running?
I don't think my valves need to be adjusted though because the quad is not showing any of the symptoms of needing a valve adjustment...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Mine are plenty loud too. Then again mine are like a year overdue for an adjustment. It still runs fine though, I'm adjusting them and changing the oil once it warms up. Then I can clean it up and install all the new stuff I got for it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Might not be a valvetrain issue, the wrist pin in mine wore out and that made it tick. Take a screw driver and put your ear to the handle end and the other on diff places on the motor. See if you can pin point exactly where it's coming from.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine are plenty loud too. Then again mine are like a year overdue for an adjustment. It still runs fine though, I'm adjusting them and changing the oil once it warms up. Then I can clean it up and install all the new stuff I got for it.
You are adjusting them yourself? How do you access the valves, and how are you getting the piston to TDC?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What harm can be done to the engine by riding with a worn out wrist pin?
i'm pretty sure it's coming from the valves because ever since I got the quad it always had ticking coming from the top end, but it seems to have gotten louder recently...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are adjusting them yourself? How do you access the valves, and how are you getting the piston to TDC?
You have to pull off the front plastics and the gas tank (kind of like when you are going to jet the carb.)
After the tank is off, on the top of the engine you will see a cap on either side that requires a giant wrench to open. This will give you access to the valves to adjust tappet play. I'm sure you can figure out which one is the intake side, and which one is the exhaust side..

On the left side of the crank case (flywheel side) you will see that there are 2 little caps that you need a giant ass screw driver to remove. Under the bigger cap, you will see the flywheel. Use a socket wrench to turn it.
Under the smaller cap, there should be a mark to line up the flywheel to TDC.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
On the left side of the crank case (flywheel side) you will see that there are 2 little caps that you need a giant ass screw driver to remove. Under the bigger cap, you will see the flywheel. Use a socket wrench to turn it.
+1 ;)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is the ticking normal a normal thing with these motors?

·
Registered
252 Posts
You have to pull off the front plastics and the gas tank (kind of like when you are going to jet the carb.)
After the tank is off, on the top of the engine you will see a cap on either side that requires a giant wrench to open. This will give you access to the valves to adjust tappet play. I'm sure you can figure out which one is the intake side, and which one is the exhaust side..

I had a feeling those caps were to access the valves. The owners manual recommends .005 to .010 for the intake and .010 to .015 for the exhaust. I was debating on adjusting mine to .008 and .012, does this sound good? My engine only has about 65 hrs on it. I do seem to hear some buzzing, but not alot of ticking, but I am comparing that to a DOHC 16V engine.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a feeling those caps were to access the valves. The owners manual recommends .005 to .010 for the intake and .010 to .015 for the exhaust. I was debating on adjusting mine to .008 and .012, does this sound good? My engine only has about 65 hrs on it. I do seem to hear some buzzing, but not alot of ticking, but I am comparing that to a DOHC 16V engine.
Can't hurt to pull 'em off and take a look to make sure everything is okay in there..

·
Registered
235 Posts
this is hard to tell online. loud to one is not loud to another...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is hard to tell online. loud to one is not loud to another...
I know loud ticks.. when you can hear a constant tick through your helmet while accelerating and a pretty high rotation of a screaming engine.. that is a loud tick..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Timing chain possibly warnout tensioner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts