Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Vapor a couple weeks ago, and I can't seem to get the tach working correctly. When riding at a constant throttle, the RPM's jump all over the place (i.e. from 2300 to 6700 to 3600). I hit the rev limiter LONG before the shift light comes on, and it's set to come on at 7,000 RPM. I am grounded to one of the valve cover screws on the motor, and have the red wire wrapped 12 times around the spark plug wire (both of these were TrailTech recommendations). Has anyone been able to get the tach to work accurately, and if so, could you tell me what you did (like where you are grounded, # of wraps on the spark plug wire, etc)? Thanks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sandnut,

It's known at Trail Tech. They told me a fix was in the works, exactly what that "fix" is, I don't know. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum who has installed a Vapor on their bike has the same issue. My tach tends to fluctuate around 600 - 800 RPMs high and low and is grounded to the frame via the headlight mounting bracket. You seem to have an unusally high variance. I agree it's frustrating considering the cost of the computer and the time it takes to install. I'm pretty anal about my machines operating correctly and frankly it drives me fkn nuts watching the RPM's bounce around, but I have accepted the flaw and am living with it.

Frank

·
Registered
610 Posts
I thought maybe I had a bad ground that was causing it to do this. Someone on the forum had said how great the tach works on the Vapor. This was before I got mine. I have a little hour/tach meter I bought from the dealer and thought it bounced around too much... it's nowhere near as bad as the Vapor's and now I actually think it works great.
I wonder if this is a new problem? I'm going to do a search and see who it was that said his Vapor tach worked well.

Well, I couldn't find it. Everything said here said the tach bounces around and Cali was going to check into it around July 4th. If he hasn't posted a fix you can bet there isn't one, but I know I read somewhere where someone had a tach that worked well.... at least in their mind :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I dont have a tach so I could be wrong, alot of electrical issues are because of bad grounds. Make sure your ground is tight and clean. You really want it against bare metal, so scrape of any paint or anything like that. Its worth a try anyway. Good luck.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Beaner242 said:
You really want it against bare metal, so scrape of any paint or anything like that.
Beaner,

That's what confuses the crap out of me. I DID grind the paint off the frame at the ground point. It didn't help.

Frank

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
733 Posts
My tach is about 300 rpm off....... But I dont have any fluctuation...... I tapped into the bikes ground system instead of using a a bolt or engine mount. Has worked real well for me!

Mike

·
Registered
610 Posts
Shredder770 said:
My tach is about 300 rpm off....... But I dont have any fluctuation...... I tapped into the bikes ground system instead of using a a bolt or engine mount. Has worked real well for me!

Mike
Could you fill me in on how and where you tapped in and why is this different than a frame or battery ground?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shredder770 said:

Mike
Shredder, I'd take 300 RPM off over what I've got, where did you tie into the bikes ground, and how many times did you wrap the spark plug wire?

Thanks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I just got off the phone with Trail Tech. I called to see why the air temp always read about 20 degrees hotter than it is and if there was a reset for that....

Anyway, I mentioned the tach problem and Jeff acted like it was the first time they've heard of it :unsure: He said they were going to send me out a new head and see if they can duplicate the problem when they get mine back.
Sounds like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing around there.... or maybe they're going through people.

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
733 Posts
I PUlled the ground out of the lighting circuit and it it shouldnt matter where you pull it from whether its on the chassis or an existing wire, it should be all the same ....in theory. I just said that is what I did and I have 12 wraps on the plug wire. a ground is a ground one would figure.......but I figured that yamaha has a closed loop grounding system so that would be the best in my mind.....just my 2 cents worth!

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm wondering if I don't have something else going on with mine since my headlights are messed up, too....
At any rate, I thought the ground wire was for safety or whatever due to the plug wire voltage :3question: in case there's a short or something.... which is probably a good idea. I had mine completley removed and the tach still worked, albeit still jumping around. My other tach just has a single wire that wraps around the plug wire and no ground.

sandnut, let us know if you would if moving the ground to the light circuit fixes yours. I'm hoping when I get my new unit my problem will be fixed, but then I'm still waiting for the damn plastic bracket they were supposed to have sent out last week. Looks good where I have it though.... stuck to the gas cap and plastic on an angle with a little doublestick tape. If the plastic bracket cracks again I will substitute the sticky tape with velcro so it can be removed and put back. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did you figure out the air temp thing? Mine read 114 the other day and it was about 96 out....

pacanis said:
I just got off the phone with Trail Tech. I called to see why the air temp always read about 20 degrees hotter than it is and if there was a reset for that....

Anyway, I mentioned the tach problem and Jeff acted like it was the first time they've heard of it :unsure: He said they were going to send me out a new head and see if they can duplicate the problem when they get mine back.
Sounds like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing around there.... or maybe they're going through people.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just a guess, it may have to do with proximity of the unit to the radiator.

·
Registered
610 Posts
On the temp:
I think they lumped the temp problem and the tach problem together and that's why they're sending me a new unit. The air temp reads much higher than the radiator temp when the rappy's still cold and it doesn't matter if it's sitting in the shade or the sun with a towel over the Vapor, but I don't know what part of the Vapor actually senses ambient temp.... something in the computer unit I would think.

And to add......I think this Vapor is like buying the "first model". Great idea, but there's some bugs that need worked out. Like longer freakin wires for one. As a matter of fact, I read something to them out of the instruction book that didn't make sense to me and he wondered how I got the "old book". :3question: How long has this been out and they already revised the little instruction booklet ::)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I solved my problem by taking the fkn thing off all together! :ripped:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've basically given up on it. The only reason I bought the thing was fo the tach & shift lights, & that part is useless. If I had it to do over, I would have saved the $100, and my recommendation to others is to skip it.

I also think that trail Tech should be ashamed for puting out a product that doesn't work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
what are the settings u use. ppr, pulse and ppr2? ppr=0,5 pulse=500 and ppr2=1 ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts