Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to run this mod on my rap, but noticed that it takes up a bit of space on the handlebars. would i need to relocate the key when its mounted? if so i was looking at running a dr d reverse lever and the key could go in the stock reverse spot. if i dont need to relocate it, fine, but i was still thinking about running the dr d.

is the vapor and dr d reverse easy to install?

mahalo again

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just got my Vapor today, I was cheap and decided to run the mount that comes with the kit rather than buy the dashboard. I am now ordering the dashboard, the factory plastic mount looks like something you would mount a bell on a childrens tricycle with. :confused: And yes with they're 7/8" bar dashboard you need to relocate the key.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you but their 1 1/8" clamp/dash combo, the key gets moved so it sits 'under' the bars (between the clamp & gas cap). Be awre that the tach & shift light feature doesn't really work with the Raptor.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sandnut said:
If you but their 1 1/8" clamp/dash combo, the key gets moved so it sits 'under' the bars (between the clamp & gas cap). Be awre that the tach & shift light feature doesn't really work with the Raptor.
why is that? what do you mean the tach and the shift light doesnt work well with the raptor? dores the tach work at all? i wasnt aware that the vapor came with a shift light? is it bright enough to use at daytime or just night? let me know...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Just search just about any topic talking about the Vapor and you'll read about the tach not being worth crap. They're supposed to be "working on it", but last time I talked to them they couldn't find a Raptor to test it on..... yeah right ::)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about the lynx comp kit? same brand just an older generation?

·
Registered
882 Posts
talked to my mechanic and he said mine did to until he removed the battery it came with and just hooked str8 to battery on bike...just a thought

·
Registered
610 Posts
So your tach jumped around until the battery was removed from the computer? I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. I wonder why they have the separate battery if you're hooked directly up to the quad's battery anyway :unsure: Hope I don't lose my data, but I don't see how if I leave it hooked up.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Talljess said:
talked to my mechanic and he said mine did to until he removed the battery it came with and just hooked str8 to battery on bike...just a thought
Interesting...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I was set to try taking the battery out of the Vapor and called TT first. They said by pulling the battery out you lose the current time (no biggie) and the current ride time. That one is a biggie to me because I am trying to see how long I can go on a tank of gas and the weather has been crap lately. Not sure when I'll burn through this tank and start on another one...

I'd appreciate it if someone else wants to try it and see if this fixes their tach issue. :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
I just got an email from trailtech and it looks like they may have a fix. I let you know how it works tonight. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Diddly said:
I just got an email from trailtech and it looks like they may have a fix. I let you know how it works tonight. :thumbsup:
Thanks for doing the footwork and keeping us informed, I was ready to shitcan the whole unit because I couldn't get that tach issue worked out.

Frank

·
Registered
767 Posts
Heres the info I got from Trailtech. Unfortunately it made the problem worse, it now shows idle RPM as 8500-11000 RPM. :crazy:

As for the erratic tach reading, here is what you have to do and a few pictures also. You will disconnect the white connector from the coil and the you will need to bear the wire and then just install it into the white connector, and then ground underneath the reg/rec.

let me know if this helps.

Thanks Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
jeebus....

:wtf:

TT... thank you for the marvelous fix! Not only do we have to eff up our machines a bit more, the "fix" is worse than when we started.

Thanks for the update! I appreciate you taking on the guinea pig duties Diddly! Way to take one for the team!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so problem not fixed...bummer, has anyone heard of some reviews for the lynx model?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Well according to Trail Tech, the mod that I posted above works just fine. They said that they had to hit the reset button on the back of the unit after doing this mod and it works fine. I just finished re-wiring it again , then hit reset and I now show an idle speed of about 850rpm and it holds steady. :confused: At least it doesn't bounce around erraticly anymore, but I thought I read that the factory idle speed was about 1600-1800rpm? I am almost ready to give up, can you use a conventional timing light to check RPM on these?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts