Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a TrailTech Vapor, could you tell me how good it is and how you install it, does it come with everything for rmp, speed, temp, mounting, and stuff. Thanks. 8)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cmon someone has to have this, dont tell me you dont becuase I know you do :bs:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hey limited, I have a Vapor on mine and I'm very happy with it. It comes with all the sensors on the kit. It does take a bit of time, about 3 hours to install. It does all that Trailtech claims, the RPM Leds are pretty cool. Here are some notes that are not very well explained on the TT manual:
- When installing it in the OEM plastic thingy where the key goes you have to center it very well and drill a 1/2" hole behind where the cables are in the vapor to be able to pass all the wires and connectors. I am actually thinking on getting this to upgrade to 1 1/8" bars and protect the vapor more:
http://trailtech.net/store/atv_protectors_dashboards.html
- On the distance/speed sensor install you have to take the black plastic disc rotor protector and use the C bracket (use loctite on all nuts and bolts).
- For the temperature sensor, mount it on the top water hose on the right side of the bike so it measures the temp of the water going out of your engine.
- It is easier to install if you remove the front plastics.
If anything else let me know ;)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the distance/speed sensor install you have to take the black plastic disc rotor protector and use the C bracket (use loctite on all nuts and bolts). Explain, im confused.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The speed/distance sensor needs to be installed in one of the front axles and a magnet has to be installed on the brake disc. When you take the wheel off you will see a black plastic guard that is there to protect the brake disc from the inside of the wheel (to keep rocks and mud away) and you either have to drill a hole in it to pass the sensor or you just take it off. See page 14 of the Vapor user manual and you will see the "C" shaped bracket to hold the sensor. That is how you install it on Raptors, with the bracket.

Vapor Manual:
http://www.trailtech.net/store/media/instructions/vapor_instructions.pdf

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered it from RM but its on backorder for 2 1/2 weeks :'(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Its pretty nice! We love them. My Fionce bought the dashboard. Which is very nice, but it coveres all you warning lights being it extends pretty far infront of the handlebars. I made a mount that puts the Vapor right in the middle of the bars.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hey Scott, I remember one of these dashboards installed on a friend's z-400 and it had the original lights and the ignition on it. Did you get the TT one?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Has anyone put the vapor through some mud and if so how did it hold up.Thinking on getting one but seems it would be easy to tear up. And as far a draining the coolant for water temp couldnt you just cut it, throw it in, and then top the radiator off.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats what I did, screw draining x.x the bolt is like a 3/16 bolt for draining it also... take for ever.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, lol, I didnt try :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have looked around and still havent found a straight answer on whether or not you have to move the key or how it holds up in mud. Also, do the protectors cost almost as much on these links I am pulling up or am I looking at something wrong because 119 for a computer and 99 for a protector doesnt seem right.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, you do not need to remove key, the vapor can be installed anywhere, and yes the protectors cost that much, plus you have to buy 1 1/8 bars for the vapor protector, so plan on about another $40

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would put a fuse in line. I used a 1 amp that I got at radio shack. It is not drawing that much load. I tapped into the key switch wire after it leaves the switch. That way it is only on when the key is on. If not, it will be drawing power all the time and run down the battery. If I remember correctly, the instructions state to do this. There is a small battery in the unit that keeps the clock running and will turn on the screen when the speed sensor is tripped. When you turn on the key, the functions are turned on along with the backlight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would put a fuse in line. I used a 1 amp that I got at radio shack. It is not drawing that much load. I tapped into the key switch wire after it leaves the switch. That way it is only on when the key is on. If not, it will be drawing power all the time and run down the battery. If I remember correctly, the instructions state to do this. There is a small battery in the unit that keeps the clock running and will turn on the screen when the speed sensor is tripped. When you turn on the key, the functions are turned on along with the backlight.
Thanks. Put it in and seems to be working great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.