Raptor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a velocity intake with the K&N filter off of ebay for 70 bucks shipped. Since then I have been reading on here that they aren't that good. Any opinions on them? Should I just use the K&N without the lid on the stock airbox? One of the gripes I've read about it is the hot air surrounding the aluminum intake tubes of the velocity kit. I thought maybe just insulating them would help that. Anyways, any opinions or other intake suggestions are very welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The factory rubber intake tubes are a better "velocity stack". They have a gradual taper to them. All the velocity kit is 2 straight diameter aluminum tubes that have been expanded to the filter flange size. Ruber also insulates against heat off the exhaust and engine better. You will have cooler intake air temps running the factory tubes. The factory tubes also have vent lines for the tops of the vaccuum slide diaphrams. The velocity intake doent even have a place for them to hook up to.

If you absolutly want to run no air box then I would have went with the billit aluminum bracket that bolts to the frame where the front of the air box is supported. The bracket uses the factory rubber intake hoses. It comes with individual k&n filters and outerwears.

If I was going to run no air box I would get a factory air box with a prodesign plate. Then cut off the Left hand side, bottom, and back. Leave the 1 inch or so intact around the top so it could still be mounted like the factory air box.

With the right hand side still in place you would have a heat shield to help keep exhaust heat away from the filter / intake air.

Cut Air Box

Here is the other intake I was talking about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-RAPTOR-660-INTAKE-KN-K-N-FILTER-KIT-NO-AIRBOX-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56418212edQQitemZ370466231021QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

1 - 2 of 2 Posts