Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so I bought a 2001 660R about two weeks ago. I'm in Illinois and the ATV was in Indiana. The guy told me he doesn't have the title for the ATV but had no problem doing a bill of sale for me just in case.

First.. how is it possible that the ATV doesn't have a title? Is it possible to have one issued for it?

Second.. how can I check the history of it, like if it's stolen or anything. I ran the VIN decoder and got all that information but that's it, CarFax keeps telling me the VIN is invalid or something.

In Illinois I have to register the ATV but I'm assuming that isn't possible without the title though, correct? If it is possible, please fill me in.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
if its the same as cali were i live i hate to tell u the bad news. if you dont have a title that bill of sale is worthless you are not going to register it in your name every state is differnt. i would take the bike back and get your money

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Some states are not required to title atv's. Nebraska wasn't required to untill 2005. So the atv when sold new just comes with a MCO. Manufacture Certificate of Origin. The first owner would have to take that to the court house and get a title. If he didnt then the atv never got a title.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I bought a trx450 from a state that didnt issue a title. All I did in CA, was take my BOS signed by me (buyer) and the seller with the VIN, make, model, year of the quad and I was issued a CA title, no problems. I just made sure the seller's driver license matched the registration name.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
You are not required to title a quad in Oregon, either....most do for insurance purposes or if it`s finanaced....but, not required !

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
where i live in (ohio) u cant get a title, make a title, or use a bill of sale to get a title without the last titled owner to sign off on the title. bill of sales r useless. anyone can write something up sayin so and so sold u this for such and such dollars. i have dealt with a bill of sale and couldnt get mine blaster from the people who towed it bc i didnt have a title. they got a nice free blaster out of it. thats y i wont buy anything unless it has a title. sounds like u got screwed, i would try to get ur money back. its gonna be hard to sell without the title. i know i wouldnt buy it unless it was CHEAP!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wisconsin

Hey,

I am from Wisconsin and not having a title for atvs and such is stupid, I know. All you need to register it in Wisconsin is have a bill of sale and they only look at that if there is an issue I think. As long as the vin isn't reported as stolen you can do it all on the dnr website, but I have no idea how that works with transferring to IL. Thats why I always do a very detailed bill of sale that includes a lot of information from the seller/buyer, including having them bring a copy of their drivers license and SSN when doing a transaction as such.

Best of Luck to you sir.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And I just went ahead and tried using your vin in the dnr website, cuz you have to be in the system to register or check on stuff. And the vin checked out, it let me proceed and almost register it in my name, but I didn't ;). So I'm going to say that the vin is clear, or the police are going to be knocking on my door looking for the atv for putting that vin in there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mistake everyone, the ATV was purchased from Indiana. The reason I ask if because in order to ride it at any ATV place in Illinois it needs to be registered. I'm not planning on riding in Illinois though, mostly Indiana but it would be nice to have it registered if possible.

Could you provide me with the DNR website?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts