Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an obvious difference? ARE THESE 06'S?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone tell by eyeballing the pic above, what year these shocks are?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 04's where silver springs with less coils and the 05's where white springs with less coils. The 06's where white springs with on ore two more coils. I'd guess that they where 06's that had the pre-load unthreaded.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
04 had both white and silver availible depending on the color of the bike.

Since they have a denser spring coil than the 04's I have I'd say it was 06, unless they changed the springs in 05 also. I thought 05 was valving only though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Anybody know what year they had black springs in the shocks??

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
OK....you could get white, silver or black in 2004. In 2005 you could have white, silver or yellow. In 2006 you could have white, white or white

2004 was the first year of the shock

2005: same exact shock and spring, just came tuned differently from the factory with the adjustments. Valving was all the same.

2006: New spring and valving, along with different adjuster settings.

I dont know that there really is an accurate way of telling the difference.....except that a set of 04's are going to be more used...haha.
I have an 04 yfz sitting right next to my 06 700 with 06 yfz shocks. They look identical.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Those shocks have more coils on the spring than the two sets of 04's I've owned.

Thanks for clearing up the 05 changes, wasn't sure if any valving was changed or just settings but I know they had changed something.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Maddog56 said:
Those shocks have more coils on the spring than the two sets of 04's I've owned.

Thanks for clearing up the 05 changes, wasn't sure if any valving was changed or just settings but I know they had changed something.
ahhh perhaps. When I went out in the garage and looked, they appeared the same. Unless you "really" know the coil count and differences, I dont think you can tell an 04-05-06.....they appear the same.

BUT, fortunately I can go out there and look/count them back to back. The 2004/2005 model has 14 coils. The 2006 model has 16 coils.

The picture you posted is of a pair of 2006 yfz 450 shocks :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts