Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VP Racing VPR Fuel

Has anyone tried VP's VPR fuel yet? They claim 1-2% more power, better throttle response, increased consistency, long-term savings over pump gas, etc. All on a stock or slightly modified engine. Curious if it's worth trying, or even going 50/50 with it. Anyone have any experience/knowledge with it?

(Has a MON rating of 101 and a "pump" at 105. Leaded and Oxygenated.)

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Oxy fuel requires bigger jets than pump gas to compensate for the additional air in the mixture and I'd wager your buddy didn't add enough and leaned it out. At least that's the most common problem with these fuels for new users.

Haven't tried this latest fuel type, do they suggest the regular flushing like other oxy fuels do? The corrosion/gum up factor has always been my concern with oxy fuels as I'm sure I'd either forget or improperly empty out the system at some point.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Has anyone tried VP's VPR yet? They claim 1-2% more power, better throttle response, increased consistency, long-term savings over pump gas, etc. All on a stock or slightly modified engine. Curious if it's worth trying, or even going 50/50 with it. Anyone have any experience/knowledge with it?

(Has a MON rating of 101 and a "pump" at 105. Leaded and Oxygenated.)
Back in my Banshee days I ran VP 110 & had very good luck with it...& the smell...emmmmmm.
I have not tryed the VPR & I dont plan on it. My bike is set up for 93 or 94 pump fuel & she runs awsome on it....We ride with a big group,They like the AVE gas (low leval aviation fuel). I dont like the stuff, It leves a weird film.
If anyone I know tryes the VPR it Ill let ya know...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having a hard time trying to find any info or tech data on this fuel type. I contacted VP for more information and waiting for a response. I would just assume treat it like their other fuels that are similar.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heard some bad things about that stuff! My buddy used it and shot his piston right through the head and out the front bumper! Runs hot and causes major damage!
Must have been one of those "shark mouth" type bumpers.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The other thing with Oxygenated fuels it it has to be drained when you not running it. A heavily oxygenated fuel is corosive and will cause problems when left sitting in aluminum carbs.

That and if you leave it unsealed you will start to loose oxygen. Like drinking a flat soda.

So if your going to run it 50/50 that would be a 0.5-1.0% gain. Not even worth the time and extra steps required.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Back in my Banshee days I ran VP 110 & had very good luck with it...& the smell...emmmmmm.
I have not tryed the VPR & I dont plan on it. My bike is set up for 93 or 94 pump fuel & she runs awsome on it....We ride with a big group,They like the AVE gas (low leval aviation fuel). I dont like the stuff, It leves a weird film.
If anyone I know tryes the VPR it Ill let ya know...
few of my buddies swear by the av gas. says their bikes run 20-30 degrees cooler and get more HP out of it. dunno exactly what to believe haha.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Fuel

I have used VP-113, U4.4, and MR-12. These are all Oxy Fuels, the cheapest being VP-113, followed by U4.4, and finally MR-12 which runs for over $20/Gal.

The MR-12 produces the most power, 4 HP more than the VP-113 and 2HP more than the U4.4.

The MR-12 is one of the best fuels VP makes, however it is diffucult to handle, as it is made with extremely strong chemicals, that you can smell right throught the can. It is recommended that all these fuels are flushed out of the bike, therefore you will need to empty the tank after every ride.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
few of my buddies swear by the av gas. says their bikes run 20-30 degrees cooler and get more HP out of it. dunno exactly what to believe haha.
Sorry, but unless you're at 12.5:1 or above, it's just 'clean car' or sticker syndrome - it does nothing, really, it actually reduces performance due to slower flame front propogation (due to higher than necessary octane level).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a crap video VP made about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5zl2E2NUEA&feature=youtu.be

As far as giving it a try, I think the determining factor would be price per gallon. I have contacted VP and they referred me to my local dealer. As soon as I here back from them, I'll forward the information.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Here is a crap video VP made about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5zl2E2NUEA&feature=youtu.be

As far as giving it a try, I think the determining factor would be price per gallon. I have contacted VP and they referred me to my local dealer. As soon as I here back from them, I'll forward the information.
The VP dealers won't have as much insight or actual performance gains for their fuels like the guys here on the boards do. Listen to ANT, he has some good experience. I've used MRX01 which is a lower octane oxy fuel, usually worth around 2hp (VP says 6% gain). But it is $20+ a gallon.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The VP dealers won't have as much insight or actual performance gains for their fuels like the guys here on the boards do. Listen to ANT, he has some good experience. I've used MRX01 which is a lower octane oxy fuel, usually worth around 2hp (VP says 6% gain). But it is $20+ a gallon.
yeah I didn't expect the local dealer to know anything about it, just looking for cost info from them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Talked to the local VP rep., sells for $13 per gallon. Think its worth it?

Info from VP;

New! VPR™
VP's latest fuel for 4-stroke powersports applications, VPR, bridges the gap between pump gas and race fuel. The ‘R’ is a nod to ‘riders’ of motorcycles, quads, UTVs, & SXSs that may not require professional grade race fuel, but are looking for performance that is economically practical. Offering 1-2% more power, better throttle response, increased consistency and long-term savings over pump gas, VPR is clearly what your stock (or slightly modified) bike needs. Ethanol-related problems will not be an issue with VPR and you can expect better vaporization, plus a cleaner, more efficient burn than that of street gas. VPR will extend the life of your engine, increase the time between rebuilds and lower your long-term costs, preventing corrosion problems in EFI or carbureted fuel systems in the process.

TYPICAL VALUES
• Color: Pale Green
• Motor Octane: 101
• Specific Gravity: .732 at 60° F

Specification Sheet: VPR

Specific Gravity: .732 @ 60°F

Color: Pale Green

MON: 101

R+M/2: 105

RON: 109

RVP: 8.5

Leaded: Yes

Oxygenated: Yes

Oxidation Stability (min.) 1440+

Distillation:
10% evap @ TBD°F
50% evap @ TBD°F
90% evap @ TBD°F
E.P. @ TBD°F

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
In the KFX, perhaps if you're not riding it all that often. For the 660, I think you'd get more bang for the buck with some new engine parts.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Their own advertising makes the point for you - you get 1 to 2% more power (1/2 HP or so) at about 3 times the fuel cost - is that worth it to you? If so, use it... sure isn't to me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There own advertising makes the point for you - you get 1 to 2% more power (1/2 HP or so) at about 3 times the fuel cost - is that worth it to you? Is so, use it... sure isn't to me.
Ya I agree, $13 per gallon is pricey for this grade of fuel. VP as better fuels at a similar price point.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
For sure.... racers, where a couple of thousandths of a second make all the difference in the world, 1 to 2% more power can differentiate between the podium and 'also ran' - definitely worth it. For most of us recreational riders - we won't even be able to feel the difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts