Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanna get some elkas in the front, with some +2 a-arms i want the elite elkas and iam wondering what i should look to spend? is there anything else i should look to get to make the front end a little better? how bout a steering stem, or steering stabilizer? im thinking the a-arms and the elkas along with a steering stabilizer will pretty much cover the front end? let me know how you think , i mostly ride trails and im lookin to get up in the air pretty soon too

·
Registered
226 Posts
HERE'S AN EMAIL I GOT FROM ELKA THEMSELVES..HOPE THIS HELPS! .....

FRONT SUSPENSION

Recreational: Pair non-adjustable with remote or piggyback reservoir:

Triple rate spring set up with self-sagging device: $750.00 Us

Recreational: Pair non-adjustable non-reservoir:

Triple rate spring set up with self-sagging device: $485.00 Us

Sport & Racing: Pair fully adjustable (compression and rebound), in remote reservoir or piggyback reservoir:

Triple rate spring set up with self-sagging device: $1095.00 Us

Sport & Racing: Pair adjustable in compression only, in remote reservoir or piggyback reservoir:

Triple rate spring set up with self-sagging device: $895.00 Us

Elite Series: Pair fully adjustable (Hi/Lo compression & rebound) , in remote reservoir or piggyback reservoir:

Triple rate spring set up with self-sagging device: $1465.00 Us

Elite Series: Pair adjustable in Hi/Lo compression only, in remote or piggyback reservoir:

Triple rate spring set up with self-sagging device: $1255.00 Us

REAR SUSPENSION

“Most of our rear shocks offer more wheel travel than the stock units”.

The rear shock is fully adjustable (compression and rebound) in a remote reservoir.

Sport & Racing: Dual rate rear shock with a self-sagging device: $875.00 Us

Elite Series: Dual rate spring set up with self-sagging device: $1045.00 Us

As for as steering stabilzers go...If you have the money, go either Elka or Precision. I have heard wonders about each product. A new steering stem along with flexx bars, you wouldn't feel if you rode off a 5 story building (...okay, maybe a little...) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you go Elka don't waste your time with their cheaper shocks. The Elite line is a good shock. A Precision stabilizer is a great idea. You can't kill it and it will make you faster on the trails. It is also safer.

Look into Custom Axis shocks too. They are pricey but if you have the coin; in my opinion they are the best shocks on the market.

Bang for the buck great shocks TCS and Ohlins. (I wear TCS and love them)

Wide open wallet shocks- Custom Axis and Elka Elite series (In this price range I would prefer Custom Axis)

Steering stem? Sure but after you wad up the stocker.

Flex bars? Yes but after A-arms, LTshocks (all three), and stabilizer.

Just my .02

·
Registered
965 Posts
BJH said:
If you go Elka don't waste your time with their cheaper shocks. The Elite line is a good shock. A Precision stabilizer is a great idea. You can't kill it and it will make you faster on the trails. It is also safer.

Look into Custom Axis shocks too. They are pricey but if you have the coin; in my opinion they are the best shocks on the market.

Bang for the buck great shocks TCS and Ohlins. (I wear TCS and love them)

Wide open wallet shocks- Custom Axis and Elka Elite series (In this price range I would prefer Custom Axis)

Steering stem? Sure but after you wad up the stocker.

Flex bars? Yes but after A-arms, LTshocks (all three), and stabilizer.

Just my .02
I also agree. 

blackraptor:  Long travel shocks are much longer than standard shocks. Usually between 16" and 19". They will be noted on any web site you buy from

·
Registered
226 Posts
what's the diff between standard and long-travel shocks?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I don't really want to get in the Long Travel vs Standard travel debate.. Because some people think standard travel is better; furthermore, think long travel is a waste of money.

I have elka/ LSR a-arms with a Precision Stabilizer, and I couldn't be more happy with my setup. It's great!

I be more than happy to talk to you over the phone and get you going in the right direction and to save your money for upcoming modifications.

Take care
Kenneth

·
Registered
226 Posts
..so what's the difference? not performance wise...but more along the lines of actually difference? Ie....if I go 2+ a-arms, what does standard travel & long travel differ in?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
You can have standard travel plus two a-arms just like you can have lt plus 2 a-arms. The difference is where the shock mounts are welded to the a-arm if its further down its going to require a longer shock to set up right. A lot of shock companies prefer people to go LT because they say its easier to valve longer shocks to spec.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Long travel with a zero pre-load offers more suspension valving in a wheel drop situation. Whoops, pot holes, jumps etc. When just plain riding on fairly even terrain it doesn't really help with ride quality. In fact it really doesn't help unless there is a spring that rides normally compressed to "free drop" the wheels when they start to unload.

But, when they do unload the added travel offers more dampening distance in the shock stroke. Therefore the ride is typically better and under better control than a wheel with standard travel.

When long travel is done right (and sometimes it is not) the actual ride height is NOT higher. In fact it should be about 1" lower on the Raptor. If an LT shock is not a ZPS style it is not worth having. Elka calls this "self sagging"

There are differing opinions on this but that is mine...for what it is worth. I ride LT and I wouldn't go back.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Question:
Do you think the long travel will help coming down out of a wheelie? when I come down, sometimes it is a pretty hard impact. I want to order shocks soon, and if this would definately soften the impact, it would be worth the upgrade, I guess that would mean longer A arms over stock??

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have Elka Sport & Racing "Dune Edition" Shocks, I love them, but I have not used anything else either. I have Laeger Dune Edition +2 A Arms as well, made a huge diffrence in steering. I have the Elka System 3 Steering Damper, works great, made a big diffrence. I just put on a Anti Vibe Stem by Rated X +2 and Flexx Bars, ride on them this weekend for the first time. I love my setup for all types of riding, harpack, sand you name it. I will let you know what I think of the bars and the stem, if it is worth it. But the Shocks and the Arms were worth it for sure.

·
Registered
412 Posts
BJH said:

FWIW ... Axis shocks are made by Penske and yes they are very high quality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All the products mentioned so far are EXCELLENT choices and you can not go wrong with any of them. But ! IMO, Fox Float X Evol's up front, have the best ride quality on the market bar none, just to confuse you a little more ! Flexx bars and solid stem, awsome ! Flexx bars mated to anti vibe stem, Made my steering feel mushey and vague, for lack of better words, IMO....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts