Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know not everyone believes in the 1st Ammendment, the ownership of guns and self protection. But, its not working in other countries, how would it work here. By the time police arrive, it's to late.

AND, we never had school shootings when we could discipline our kids.
A place to show and talk about your gear and beliefs about personal protection.

Just remember, what you say will be here forever.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I'm thinking the Ruger 57 is going to be my next gun.

If it ever comes back in stock.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
Looks like a solid piece. I am not into guns as much as I used to be by a long shot. I grew up hunting with my dad who had a gunsmithing side gig for a few years with a buddy of his. Back when no guns were ever locked up, we always had choices of weapons to go out in the back field to shoot prairie dogs after school. I think I was in my late teens when I just stopped altogether. Parents divorced, dad out of state And no real reason to continue I guess. The crowd I hung around wasn’t the hunting type, more the partying type. My youngest brother is 10 years my junior and is heavy into them. I mean 3 safes fully loaded heavy, lol. If I ever want to play with any, he offers me full access.

By all means, let’s see what you guys have,

·
Registered
760 Posts
Being in Cali my choices are limited but I always wanted one of those Walther PPQs. I was in Idaho at my dads place last year and he took me to Black Sheep, a type of outdoor supply store. They had the PPQ and that trigger pull was so nice. The clerk flipped his shit when I showed him my Cali ID though. Damn near forced me to leave. I just wanted to dream a little bit, damn.

·
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 years ago, coming back from Glamis, we stopped at Lake Havasu for a week. There must have been 10 gun stores along the main street. I could have bought a long gun, but no pistols.

Same trip, we stopped at Hoover Dam. The sign at the entrance says No Firearms. I told the attendant I would have to turn around, as we were packing. He said lots of people are and don't tell. Go on in and have a good time.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Being in Cali my choices are limited but I always wanted one of those Walther PPQs. I was in Idaho at my dads place last year and he took me to Black Sheep, a type of outdoor supply store. They had the PPQ and that trigger pull was so nice. The clerk flipped his shit when I showed him my Cali ID though. Damn near forced me to leave. I just wanted to dream a little bit, damn.
Your not allowed to have a pistol out there? I thought you had a ccw? And those glocks? I dont understand...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
I did frontsights ccw course so I’m qualified for the permit, but to actually get it in CA is near impossible unless you live pretty far up north. Even then, you will have to be close with the sheriffs department and have a damn good reason to carry to even be considered for a ccw, and no guarantees.
One of my dads buddies lives in Susanville where there is a max security prison. Even with that threat and the nature of his job, it took him years to convince the sheriffs office to vouch for him. At the age of 50 too.
For me living in Sonoma County and the age of 27, there’s a next to zero chance I’ll ever get the permit.

And on the topic of pistols - did you know that for a manufacturer to sell in CA they have to pay around 50k a year per handgun to submit an application for the “handgun registry list?” Then they have to pass a stringent series of tests to make sure that handgun is “safe.” They must also sell magazines that hold no more than 10 rounds at a time. I believe they enacted a law requiring something called micro stamping at some point which nobody has done yet. Essentially, all handguns since 2015 have been banned. As in new models. I can’t even get a gen 3 glock, only the gen 2 is allowed for sale new and only because it has been grandfathered in. It would never pass all the laws they mandate now. Absolute BS. Of course, all state legislators and peace officers are exempt from the laws.
Also, the ar15 style guns are banned now. Any rifle with a pistol grip, forward grip, forward accessories like a bipod etc., adjustable stock, barrel attachment OR removable magazine is now considered a felony. Whether purchased when legal or not.
I swear it’s a matter of time before they ban the choke on my shotgun too.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Of course I purchased all my stuff when it was legal, but it’s only getting tighter as time goes on. My old man used to live here, but he left for Idaho when I was 17. Couldn’t take it anymore. Can’t really blame him...although the women and beaches are primeeee timeeeee out here 😎. Not sure I could give that up yet.

·
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A few of mine.

Top left, Glock 22
Bottom left, Glock 43
Top right, Taurus PT99
Bottom right, HK USP compact
Center, KelTec P11

·
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My very first gun back in the 70's, was a Model 70, 30.06 that killed lots of deer and elk.
My first pistol was a Ruger 357 Security 6, it was stolen 2 times. Long story....
The wife has a Charter Arms, 38 snub nose.

None of my guns are safe queens, I bought all of them to shoot.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I did frontsights ccw course so I’m qualified for the permit, but to actually get it in CA is near impossible unless you live pretty far up north. Even then, you will have to be close with the sheriffs department and have a damn good reason to carry to even be considered for a ccw, and no guarantees.
One of my dads buddies lives in Susanville where there is a max security prison. Even with that threat and the nature of his job, it took him years to convince the sheriffs office to vouch for him. At the age of 50 too.
For me living in Sonoma County and the age of 27, there’s a next to zero chance I’ll ever get the permit.

And on the topic of pistols - did you know that for a manufacturer to sell in CA they have to pay around 50k a year per handgun to submit an application for the “handgun registry list?” Then they have to pass a stringent series of tests to make sure that handgun is “safe.” They must also sell magazines that hold no more than 10 rounds at a time. I believe they enacted a law requiring something called micro stamping at some point which nobody has done yet. Essentially, all handguns since 2015 have been banned. As in new models. I can’t even get a gen 3 glock, only the gen 2 is allowed for sale new and only because it has been grandfathered in. It would never pass all the laws they mandate now. Absolute BS. Of course, all state legislators and peace officers are exempt from the laws.
Also, the ar15 style guns are banned now. Any rifle with a pistol grip, forward grip, forward accessories like a bipod etc., adjustable stock, barrel attachment OR removable magazine is now considered a felony. Whether purchased when legal or not.
I swear it’s a matter of time before they ban the choke on my shotgun too.
I dont even know what to say to all that. I think thats how nazi germany started...

·
Registered
760 Posts
I dont even know what to say to all that. I think thats how nazi germany started...

No way, hitler had a better head on his shoulders than Gavin Newsome

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
No way, hitler had a better head on his shoulders than Gavin Newsome
Bwahahahahaha! Not to mention the witch...

·
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've come close to going to Front Sight but never have, maybe if it was closer. We've both taken local classes over the years, and recommend classes and lots of practice for everyone.

·
Registered
760 Posts
It’s expensive, but if you know someone who is already a member then you have a more affordable option. They offer extra memberships at a discounted price to current high level members that they can then gift out at their disposal. I got a lifetime membership for free from a friend like that.
One thing I really appreciate about FS is the seminars they do in-between shooting classes. They talk about ethics, necessity, and the repercussions of ones actions in a variety of scenarios we’ve all imagined. It’s really provoking and I enjoyed that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
2A guy in ND here. Gun laws are somewhat lax where I live. I have a Beretta M9, Springfield Loaded 1911, S&W MP-15, and Browning BPS.

Shotgun probably gets the most use upland bird hunting, though. Haha

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm in Va, and my Dad taught me to shoot safely when I was 7, so about 36 years now.
My friends and I do alot of target shooting, and with about anything you can think of.
But, out of everything, I think my Dad's Henry .22 lever action is the best beer can killer I've ever shot, lol.
It's had Thousands of rounds through it, is the best cheap fun to shoot, and is still incredibly accurate for all it is...and beats $3 a round for bigger fun, (who remembers when 550 rounds of .22's were $5 or less, lol)

·
Registered
605 Posts
The worst thing I have to shoot is a Stoeger coach gun.
Double barrel, 18", 12 gage, hammerless, double trigger, choked left barrel...and it kills on both ends with buckshot.
The front trigger likes to try and break your middle finger with recoil, especially if you pull both together, lol

1 - 20 of 49 Posts