Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I will be running without a lid now, Can I ride in the rain without worrying about inhaling water in the engine? If my filter was soaked can I still ride? I am trying to figure out when water is a problem. Someone told me if I submerge in water then I have a problem, and everything else wont matter. Ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
WRONG you dont want water going threw the system at all if you can help it.
I do know of some people that will take a squirt bottle and get engine good and hot raise RPM's pretty high and give a squirt or 2 and says it will help clean it inside and get rid of carbon deposits, but I'm not doing it. If it dont burn I don't want it in my bike.
If the filter is soaked I would not run it. and the rain should not really get in from the lid bieng gone but some may get in there.
Are you running outerwears if not you should

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i got the gytr outer filter.

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
weewane said:
WRONG you dont want water going threw the system at all if you can help it.
I do know of some people that will take a squirt bottle and get engine good and hot raise RPM's pretty high and give a squirt or 2 and says it will help clean it inside and get rid of carbon deposits, but I'm not doing it. If it dont burn I don't want it in my bike.
If the filter is soaked I would not run it. and the rain should not really get in from the lid bieng gone but some may get in there.
Are you running outerwears if not you should
Running water through isn't all bad.. I know I've done it on my car before (66' Dodge Coronet) to remove carbon deposits, if you could see the difference youd' be a believer too! But water should be used as minimal as possible, even submerging a quad (sucking in water) isn't ALL bad.. I mean, don't get me wrong, its not good for it, but its nothing that bad either, I had a friend 3 weeks ago last sunday that sunk his LTR-450 on accident, was funny/crazy to see no lies... he was whipping a sh*tty on a small... 15 foot wide peninsula in a sand pit.. its tires caught a rut when sliding around, threw the quad in the air, and he landed upside down.. we took it to my place, drained everyhting, had it running the next day (after drying out) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I know that guys with supercharged tacoma's that up the boost past a certain point have to water inject there engines. They do just fine!

But yeah, I too would not want to be taking in water. However, a splash on a filter is not going to be that big a deal. Especially if you run an outerwears.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Water in an engine is BAD. Water doesnt compress, so you run the risk of bending a rod, snapping a wrist pin, or even splitting the block.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, im not talking about submerging... i am talking about running in rain, or starting it after washing... oil on the filter will repell water anyways, im just wondering of the dangers.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Rappys said:
ok, im not talking about submerging... i am talking about running in rain, or starting it after washing... oil on the filter will repell water anyways, im just wondering of the dangers.
Like I said, if its a splash, no biggy. If its a douche...BAD

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sweet, im not to worried then. I dont do the 4x4 trails. :grin_nod:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts