Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some insight here from the seasoned sport quad nuts. I've had my Rappy for 11 months now and have ridden in most conditions and feel very comfortable except for when I come to water on the trail.
I'll be cruising down the trails with my buddies (mostly on bikes) and we come to water, maybe 6-8" deep and 10-20 yards long, they power thru it at speed. I've played superman too many times when the front end dives and I'm looking for suggestions. I've tried sitting back and hammering on it only to have it hydroplane in the back and dive in the front, this resulted in a cool flight time followed by me getting run over by my quad :wtf:. What is the trick if there is one? Sometimes the puddles (lakes) come up fast and there isn't time to get from 50 or 60 down to a safe water speed. HELP!!! :help:

J.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
SULLY0556 said:
Ok, I need some insight here from the seasoned sport quad nuts. I've had my Rappy for 11 months now and have ridden in most conditions and feel very comfortable except for when I come to water on the trail.
I'll be cruising down the trails with my buddies (mostly on bikes) and we come to water, maybe 6-8" deep and 10-20 yards long, they power thru it at speed. I've played superman too many times when the front end dives and I'm looking for suggestions. I've tried sitting back and hammering on it only to have it hydroplane in the back and dive in the front, this resulted in a cool flight time followed by me getting run over by my quad :wtf:. What is the trick if there is one? Sometimes the puddles (lakes) come up fast and there isn't time to get from 50 or 60 down to a safe water speed. HELP!!! :help:

J.
the reason ur bike nose dives is cause u hammer it to much, try a little less throttle while crossing the water....this may help. i have done some water crossing and never felt the front end dive like u say :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What speed are you hitting it at? I was cruising down a back-road at 60+ on a nice woods road and came around a corner to find the whole road covered in water. the puddle was about 30' long and unknown depth so I hit the skids for about 15 yards till I got to the water then sat back and hammered it in 4th but no luck. I know that at 10-20 mph I can wheelie thru them but that was just too fast.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give that a try. These water hazards suk!!
thanks!!!

J.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
180 is scary!!! Supermanning sux!! My bike seems like a lost puppy, it always seems to find me (then run my ass over!) Thank God for chest protectors and other safety gear! Wasn't bad at 20 or 30 years old but now that I'm over 40 I don't bounce like I used to. ::)
It's just hard to avoid that situation so I'm looking for ideas on what to do when I encounter it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I just go slow, the trails I ride have many water crossings and I find that more often then not, it's deeper then it appears. Also there is usually all kinds of crap under water like logs, stumps, rocks and god knows what. The last thing I want to do is hit that stuff with any sort of speed. That's just me though!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree! That's the best answer for trail riding. These rodes are a little different but it wouldn't hurt to slow down I guess. It's just difficult when you get the pipes and mods not to want to gas on it! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
497 Posts
The trails around my place are great, I live out of town and in the summertime I don't have school, So I just wakeup, hop on and go, miles and miles of trails beside the roads, in the trees and lakes, hills, everything. No worries of police unless I drive into town. The trails I ride are groomed, but are still fun to ride on. Bumpy and all. Driveways work good for jumping. I usually get going down the trail to the golf course, faster then cars on the 90 KM/H speed limit road.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
School? Haven't been in a school for 20+ years! U-SUK! Just kidding, I think it's great that you can ride so much!!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
SULLY0556 said:
180 is scary!!! Supermanning sux!! My bike seems like a lost puppy, it always seems to find me (then run my ass over!) Thank God for chest protectors and other safety gear!Wasn't bad at 20 or 30 years old but now that I'm over 40 I don't bounce like I used to.::) It's just hard to avoid that situation so I'm looking for ideas on what to do when I encounter it.
Oh boy, I couldnt agree more!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts