Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im helping a friend get her raptor going again (carb rebuild, one way and water pump). Raptor sat for 4 yrs and leaks fluid out the weep hole pretty good. Im looking at the parts microfiche (sp) and I see "SEAL, MECHANICAL" for $20, not sure if this is part of what I'll need. Anyone done this before? What all did you buy?

Its an 03, no water in oil or oil in water....it just leaks out the weep hole. Cant turn it on right now due to the failed one-way Im replacing.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Yea that seal is all you really need.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! ill order that! my raptor leaks VERY LITTLE if I dont use it in a while, but this one is leaking pretty fast.

carbs im dealing with

lots of metal on the flywheel

And the gear just free spinning

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Yeah, one way is sure gone and that carb looks like it has sat with fuel in it for a very long time... make sure to pull the jets and do a thorough cleaning (esp on the pilot jets) so everything is spotless.

Good luck and have fun with the repairs.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks! sat for 4yrs...theres yellow/white dust all over the insides of the carbs...pulled off all the bottom parts of the carbs and dipped in chem-tool carb cleaner. Ordered rebuild kit because orings are done

Didnt take a pic of the bowl gaskets, but those are cracked too.

Do clutches dry up from not being used? Im worried that once this thing fires up, the clutches will be dry and they might burn up or even break. I told her I was gonna get it running, try it out and see if the clutch holds up...if not, new clutch will have to be ordered.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I don't think they'll dry out, they've been impregnated with oil through use and most of should still be there.

Make sure to 'rod out' the pilot jets with copper strands, not just soak - the passages are too small to depend on capillary action to clean them.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool...this thing has been sitting for so long (4yrs), im afraid to run into more issues the more I look into it. Thanks for the rod out tip...thats what I did on my 04 when I bought it...it wasnt running good and found a clogged jet...did the same on my cousin's 3 quads and they fired right up. Would you recommend ripping apart the entire carbs and dipping them in carb/parts cleaner? Again, I did that on my 04 but it was a pain....Id rather just clean the jets, and install new float needle if need be.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
As long as you get all the parts off (rubber parts especially), then dipping can't hurt... but I prefer to use a lot of spray and inspection - and then you don't have to separate the carb bodies.

I just completely dismantle the slide chambers and all components that come in contact with fuel - everything inside the float chamber, fuel screws, jets, float valve, choke plunger, etc., - and leave the air jets in place (those at the air cleaner input end)... then, using the tube on the nozzle inserted into the passage, spray thru each passage and air jet, looking for it to come out somewhere else - it always should - making sure that spray comes out strong and not just dribbling. I go through about 1 can of spray per carb... then I follow by blowing all passages out with compressed air.

Dipping will get most surfaces nice and clean, but it can't always wick into plugged tiny interior passages, but the spray method will tell you if somethings plugged and eventually open it up with enough spray and compressed air... and rodding with some copper wire strands if necessary... I just think the spray method is more 'hands on' with immediate feedback on if there's a particular problem.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pulled the pump cover off...dear lord baby jesus!

after some scrubbing and scrapping got it looking half way decent...gonna order the oil seal too...it was done

Im glad this thing didnt run, I think coolant mightve gotten into the oil if she had used it like this. New mechanical seal, new oil seal, new clips and in it goes.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
pulled the pump cover off...dear lord baby jesus!

after some scrubbing and scrapping got it looking half way decent...gonna order the oil seal too...it was done

Im glad this thing didnt run, I think coolant mightve gotten into the oil if she had used it like this. New mechanical seal, new oil seal, new clips and in it goes.
You are going to have to clean your radiator also. Isolate it and soak it in some calcium cleaner you can get under a couple different brand names. This works better than radiator flush. Good luck.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will take a look at the radiator....this thing hasnt ran in 4yrs...hopefully the radiator doesnt look like the pump :(

BTW, is that old coolant?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Will take a look at the radiator....this thing hasn't ran in 4yrs...hopefully the radiator doesnt look like the pump :(

BTW, is that old coolant?
That corrosion is from old antifreeze, or insufficient anti freeze or plain old water............

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
That is just UGLY! Somebody was not running good antifreeze in there - Testament as to why NOT to run just water without coolant/corrosion inhibitors mixed in.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IDK what she was running before, but the coolant I drained was CLEAN...I think its new stuff because theres no way it would come out like it did with an impeller THAT dirty.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Had the clean coolant been in there for 4 years? Or did she just buy it and the original owner let it sit for the 4 years - if so, you can bet he changed coolant just before the sale.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Had the clean coolant been in there for 4 years? Or did she just buy it and the original owner let it sit for the 4 years - if so, you can bet he changed coolant just before the sale.
I've seen dirty cooling systems like shown previously by the OP, this is caused by very dirty coolant or water...............:)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heres the story on this thing...shes owned it since new, got preggo, sat for 4yrs. Her dad tried to get it running (He mentioned he changed the oil and put a new plug in) but couldnt. He did replace the batt, cleaned the filter and Im thinking he added coolant. It was leaking out the weep hole when I got it from them...I think it ran out of coolant just sitting all those years because of the bad seal, he later added some but it never circulated because it didnt fire up.

When I fired it up after the one-way install...it had no coolant because I had drained it. Kept it in some gallon jugs to re-use and its clean. The thermostat housing had typical white flakes of dried off coolant inside it, none came out of the top hose that goes from head->t-stat housing...was completely dry.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Old antifreeze is corosive. That is why your supose to change it. It does go bad over time. I think the green stuff was recomended in automobiels to be changed / flushed ever 30,000 mile or 3 years.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lil update...clutch is done...i can put it in 1st, and it will barely move on its own with the bars straight...turn them a lil and it stops moving but doesnt die. Everything else is good, just waiting on her to decide what clutch she wants

1 - 20 of 20 Posts