Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got my quad all worked out last night and i raced today kinda scared since i didnt ride it last night but i got 1st yeah yeah but man my arms where killing me wats the best thing to do so im ready for the next race

·
Registered
47 Posts
Flexx bars or some elka suspension and steering damper and some lonestar longtravel a-arms

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i lift already but still ill have to look into front end work

·
Registered
11 Posts
I race XC and the best purchase I have made to reduce arm pump is a steering dampner.
I bought a rebuidable Gibson/Denton for $159.00. I also have Flexx Bars and have upgraded to YFZ shocks, but the dampner helped the most with arm pump. It didn't eliminate it all together for me, but it reduced it enough that I could ride alot faster for a longer length of time. Put it this way, if I had to do it all over again, I would have bought the dampner before I bought the bars or the shocks.

For ANYONE that rides even somewhat aggressive you should ride with one. It makes that much of a difference. After riding with mine for a few weeks on setting #5 (it has 7 positions) I decided to turn it back to setting #1 to see the difference (or to justify my purchase). It was a night and day difference!!!!!! I went from very smooth to very jerky and uncontrolled. The stabilizer helps to keep the wheels tracking where you want them to be vs. them following every rut and groove in the trail with a lot less effort. It helps keep the wheels straight in rough sections (whoops) so you don't have to hang on to the bars as tight (which causes arm pump) and the bars won't get jerked out of your hands when you clip a tree, rock or high speed bump, which may help to keep you on the bike and in control.

Oh yeah, another tip to reduce arm pump is to ride, ride, ride very hard for a long time, and ride some more....every day. But if you can't ride every day buy a stabilizer.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I've always found Penthouse to be great for pump arm. Sure, Playboy has better articles but Pets seems dirtier than Bunnies - oh .. you mean THAT pump arm.
Never mind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MONSTERMATT said:
LIFT WEIGHTS!!!!!
One thing that I forgot to mention is that I have read a few articles from top level riders who have stated that they do not do weight training during the race season because they felt that this type of training caused arm pump. Some of these racers stated that they did weight training during the off season but most stated that they rode mountain bikes, jogged, and put lots of laps in during the race season to stay in shape.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Definatly look into a steering damper like the elka or precision. They help a tremendous amount. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
I've tried a few things over the years and I've found that the absolute best remedy for arm pump is simply to ride more.

I also keep a tennis or racquetball and a little pair of those grip things around the house so I can use them during idle time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Whats up guys, ok this is just coming from road racing, i would be fine to sart off but after about 4 laps into the race it would be so bad try'n to brake into turn 1 at about 160 it got kinda scary...so i talked to a few racers about the problem, and one guy said he had the same problem and someone told him to take a potassium pill(aka eat ALOT of bananas), so i tried this little trick and low and behold no more arm pump...my arm would just get a little tired but then that would go away and could do a full raceday with out problems... you can pick these little bad boys up at walmart 2...i take one (with redbull) anytime i ride or race, quad or R6...

just my little bit that i have learned about arm pump

push-ups help alot too

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was also told u should never drink a energy drink b4 a race or ride bc it upsets you but yeah im looking into the steering damper

·
Registered
89 Posts
oh i would agree on the damper, since your racing, im putting one on my quad even though im not racng that machine(yet) just cuz im used to one on my R6....

but on the other hand about the energy drink...it might some ppl but i thank the drink for my races :thumbsup: :crazy: ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
My buddies here at work ride KTMs pretty hard and they get arm pump. We heard about this technique, and it REALLY works.

Get a bar (broom handle without the broom, piece of PVC, etc.) and fasten a strong string (3 or 4 feet long) to the middle. At the end of the string, put a 4 lb weight. Start out with your hands at handle bar width and start winding it up until the weight gets to the top, then twist it back down - don't just let the bar spin in your hands. You will feel a good burn! My buddy has worked up to 10 lbs and 7 reps.

Now, no arm pump!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I was just looking for something tight fitting and cool to wear under my body armour and came across these.

www.skins.com.au

Sounded like a bit of a gimmick to me but surprisingly they do reduce fatigue when riding and the aches and pains that follow.

Push ups are a good exercise for conditioning the muscles used but you can't beat riding more regularly.

Mod wise I also found the precision stabiliser made a huge difference in "smoothing" out the ride.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would also suggest simply rearranging your levers.
You don't want to be riding with your wrists at awkward angles.
Try to keep your levers in easy reach for any fingers you use to pull.
Alternate the fingers you use to pull.
Loosen your grip whenever opportunity allows.

Also look for ways to reduce vibration, like Flexx bars, anti-vibe clamps/stems, gel or foam grips, or special liners for underneath your gloves.

Above all, keep in good condition. Squeeze on some light spring grips often to keep up your strength longer, and twirl some chinese stress marbles for the articulation.

or just love the burn!!! :satan:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.