Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 01 raptor i have weak spark. i can get it to fire and idle for a sec
then dies. i can rev it a little but its rough and back fires. i just replaced the stator,and the cdi box. i have checked the coil,plug cap, new spark plug, took the wiring harrness out and checked, new battery, cleaned carbs. i have tried
disconnecting the recifier the same.i've tested the stator it good. it all started
when i was riding it sounded like it was runing out of gas i flipped it to reserve
and it was fine drove it home. The next day it started fine and i started to go i gave it gas and it bogged right out until i let off the gas shut it off then it wouldn't start. i found the stator was toast, that when i replaced it.

·
Master of the Electron
15,975 Posts
How did you determine that spark is 'weak'? This is after the stator replacement, correct?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, i just grounded the plug to the head it has a faint blue spark . i also try with the plug cap off, just the wire sparking to the head and it is a yellow spark, it will arc up to about a quarter inch with out miss fire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i also noticed when it sounded like it was running out of gas it still had half a tank, and when i took the carbs off to clean them one boot from the air box was off on the left side . the left carb was pretty dirty but cleaned it with carb cleaner and used a small piece of wire in the passage ways i didn't use a air compressor.

·
Master of the Electron
15,975 Posts
If it's blue, it's not weak... just harder to see. Make sure the plug is good and gap is correct. Check this post (especially the last entry) - http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68381

Have you read in here about the reverse and parking brake rev limiters? Do your symptoms sound like one of these?

Have you checked for good, solid, long term flow from the tank (disconnect hose at carb, let flow into a container for a minure or so)?

How about a detailed recap of exactly what your current symptoms are.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
yes, i just grounded the plug to the head it has a faint blue spark . i also try with the plug cap off, just the wire sparking to the head and it is a yellow spark, it will arc up to about a quarter inch with out miss fire.
It wont spark more then a 1/4 inch...........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i have disabled the rev limiters. it will idle for few seconds then die but if i give it gas it will spudder and backfire i can keep it going by pumping the throttle. i haven't checked the tank flow yet.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
it will arc more than a quarter inch but it will miss fire.

How do you know it will misfire, when the gap is more then 1/4", how are you testing the gap, and have the engine running at the same time, or are you making the gap bigger in the plug and then insert the plug in the engine, if so, this will not work..............

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i have a 01 raptor i have weak spark. i can get it to fire and idle for a sec
then dies. i can rev it a little but its rough and back fires. i just replaced the stator,and the cdi box. i have checked the coil,plug cap, new spark plug, took the wiring harrness out and checked, new battery, cleaned carbs. i have tried
disconnecting the recifier the same.i've tested the stator it good. it all started
when i was riding it sounded like it was runing out of gas i flipped it to reserve
and it was fine drove it home. The next day it started fine and i started to go i gave it gas and it bogged right out until i let off the gas shut it off then it wouldn't start. i found the stator was toast, that when i replaced it.
You have done all this to cure this problem, is this the original problem, and you have tried all these procedures with the same result.......
Is the engine hot when doing this, what does it run like when you leave the sparkplug intact..........

·
Master of the Electron
15,975 Posts
so it's arcing across an inch + IN the cap, then 1/4" out.

·
Master of the Electron
15,975 Posts
Without being struck by lightning, you know how unusual it would be for BOTH the stator AND the CDI to fail at the same time? They would have to, as both are required for the bike to run, so once one fails, bike doesn't run - nothing to cause the other to fail... unless the P/O took good parts off and replaced with bad ones...

I know this doesn't help with your current situation, just find it odd.

·
Master of the Electron
15,975 Posts
i can keep it going by pumping the throttle. i haven't checked the tank flow yet.
Since the Rappy carbs have no accelerator pump, I don't see how pumping the throttle would help in any way, except perhaps to lean it up some... Willy, any ideas here?

Do check the tank flow - but it's probably not the issue.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts