Raptor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Master of the Electron
15,975 Posts
Significantly hotter there than, say, on the opposite clutch side cover?

·
Master of the Electron
15,975 Posts
unless it's noticeably hotter than the other side, it wont help - both side covers are in contact with the oil, which does heat up as the engine does - to uncomfortable temperatures.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
First an engine does get hot when running, certain parts of the engine get hotter then others at a faster rate then other parts.
As far as your method of checking the spark and jumping a gap, I am totaly confused, maybe I am lost or not thinking right, but I think for starters, just tell us how the engine runs with all parts hooked up as if the bike was normal, and tell us how it runs in all stages of throttle and gears and speeds, I dont go about checking engines performance by pulling plug wires off and see how it runs when trying to increase the gap...........
Quadmaniac, in your response to throttle pumping I agree, it will not affect the delievery of extra fuel...............
I think personally, that your problem is related to the carbs, and that they are dirty............whether you cleaned them or not...............

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
it can idle few sec and die...i can rev it and it hesitates and backfires and shots flames out the exhaust. cant keep it going enough to try it in any gears. i was'nt trying to run it when i was testing for spark..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
it can idle few sec and die...i can rev it and it hesitates and backfires and shots flames out the exhaust. cant keep it going enough to try it in any gears. i was'nt trying to run it when i was testing for spark..
I suggest a very thorough cleaning of the carbs, internally of all jets and passages............

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Use carb cleaner, compressed air, soft wires, any means possible to clean ALL of the passages in the carb, including a complete dismantling of all parts of the carb.............

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i dont want you to think i am an idiot.... read post three again its just like a spark gap tester. i was arcing from the spark plug wire without the cap on it to the side of the block..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
If I wanted to call you an idiot, I would have..........:D
I am a professional, (in my own words), I have been in this trade for 35 years, and some of the test procedures I have used, and others have are probably a bit weird at times, but using the method you did is sort of like shorting the ignition system at the same time as trying to test it..........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
today i got a carb kit for my quad cleaned the carbs put it back together changed the spark plug and amazingly it worked run like a dream.....thanx to willykiller and quadmaniacfor all the help.... iv been try to get this thing run for months.....

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
today i got a carb kit for my quad cleaned the carbs put it back together changed the spark plug and amazingly it worked run like a dream.....thanx to willykiller and quadmaniacfor all the help.... iv been try to get this thing run for months.....
Good to hear..............:D

·
Master of the Electron
15,975 Posts
Great! Glad it's running good for you - now have FUN!

OTHERS: See what a good, thorough carb cleaning will do? This is the most common problem seen in this forum - dirty carbs can cause so many different symptoms! (and, unless you just cleaned them yesterday, they're already starting to gunk up, little by little, bit by bit, as we speak... be afraid, be very afraid! :D)

·
Master of the Electron
15,975 Posts
A good strong spark is usually blue in color... yellow weaker, orange/red weaker still.

·
Master of the Electron
15,975 Posts
What the signs of blown head gasket on raptor 700
Drake, you're in a 660 section of the forum (not 700)...

That said, blown head gasket symptoms are almost universal (some or all may be present): white smoke billowing out the exhaust, milky oil, bubbles in coolant with radiator cap off that increase with throttle, overfilling coolant bottle with radiator cap on.

For more detail, please start your own thread, preferably in a 700 section of the forum.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts