Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went out today to run my 03 raptor. After a while of trying to start it i couldn't get it to start. Flooding, backfiring, etc. Figured I would change the spark plug since it was probably loaded because of the flooding. checked for spark while I was at it. It was getting a very very weak spark. And would only spark after it cranked over like 10 times. Put new plug on and now have no spark. Tried to put old plug back on to see if it was the new plug. No spark now at all. Read somewhere about unplugging the rectifier and trying to crank it. Still nothing. What is wrong? Is it the stator? Ignition coil? Ecu?

*edit Btw it can't be the ignition switch because I have bypassed it completely

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
I went out today to run my 03 raptor. After a while of trying to start it i couldn't get it to start. Flooding, backfiring, etc. Figured I would change the spark plug since it was probably loaded because of the flooding. checked for spark while I was at it. It was getting a very very weak spark. And would only spark after it cranked over like 10 times. Put new plug on and now have no spark. Tried to put old plug back on to see if it was the new plug. No spark now at all. Read somewhere about unplugging the rectifier and trying to crank it. Still nothing. What is wrong? Is it the stator? Ignition coil? Ecu?

*edit Btw it can't be the ignition switch because I have bypassed it completely

Here we go again with the phanthom stator, I want you to read this post and see what you think...............

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39381If it acts like what happened to me, I am sure it is your stator, whether you unplug the regulator or not...........:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking it was the stator because I just replaced the 1 way bearing. So naturally it would go after I put everything back together. Now will have to get a new gasket. Last time I took the bike out it had a hard time starting. Come to think of it I have always had a hard time starting the bike cold. Pull the bike and start it that way no problems. Then when its warm it would start on electric start no problem.

What is the general purpose of the stator?

·
Registered
48 Posts
this happened to me and i replaced the pulsar coil and that worked for me

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
I was thinking it was the stator because I just replaced the 1 way bearing. So naturally it would go after I put everything back together. Now will have to get a new gasket. Last time I took the bike out it had a hard time starting. Come to think of it I have always had a hard time starting the bike cold. Pull the bike and start it that way no problems. Then when its warm it would start on electric start no problem.

What is the general purpose of the stator?
In that case if it always starts hard when the engine is cold, check your valve lash first, if the valve lash is tight, the bike will start hard or not at all.............

·
Master of the Electron
14,490 Posts
I have seen a few occurances of this or similar issue here in the forum lately - partial or full loss of spark, shortly after one-way replacement.

I can suggest two possible causes (based simply on educated conjecture - I have no direct experience with this issue) IF there is correlation between the one-way replacement and lost spark - 1) scraping the stator across the flywheel during reassembly; damaging the windings so they either immediately or eventually short, or 2) mis-alignment of the stator wires where they exit the case, pinching wires together and as the insulation slowly flows , a short occurs. (a pinched wire often won't lose its insulation completey - the plastic often cold flows over time, eventually leaving bare copper. A pinched pair can often take significant time before they short together)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Mine is doing the same. I have a new stator new coil new rectifier. Everything checks out good. Weak or inconsistent spark until I unplug my fuel pump then I get white hot consistent spark. I'm thinking my ecu is shorted. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Master of the Electron
14,490 Posts
660's don't have a fuel pump - I assume you need to be in the 700 section; the electronics are completely different.

·
Master of the Electron
14,490 Posts
Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts