Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....not to beat a dead horse but i got a few questions between the two. My understanding is they are both 500 lift web cams but the hdd5050 has shorter duration.
Now for my style of riding i automatically think web4 because im always riding high rpm and longer duration should be more topend, which is what i want.
BUT then comes compression.... 11.1 go with hdd5050 12.1+ go with web 4 for more topend. Heres my question? If i run a full pumpgas build with an 11.5.1 cp true compression ratio and run the web 4 will there be any benefit running it over the 5050 up top?...... or is it a wash up top due to compression bleed off and im just leavin low-mid power on the table?
The reason i ask is because alot of your 12.1+ pistons arent corrected deck height and run less than the 11.5.1 true comp piston im using.
Thanks a bunch! Just wanna do it right the first time and cant find a 11.5.1 dyno to confirm

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
....found dl's old stock bore build with a 12.5.1 total seal kds setup (which was anything but 'total seal') and it showed a pretty good increase up top using the web 4 over the 5050

·
Registered
473 Posts
bump want to see where this goes. I just bought a webb4 hoping i went the right way.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I ran a 5050 SB with uncorrected 11:1. This build was torquey and had plenty of grunt in both upper and lower rpms. Great all around.

I also ran Web 4 with 105 bore uncorrected 12:1. This build felt smoother from top to bottom to me. Wasn't quite as torquey on low end though. I was still able to lug it down in the sand trails, but had a touch less torque in low rpms.

My last build was Web 4 with 105 bore uncorrected 13:1, milled cylinder. This build was by far my favorite. Revved fast, massive power from top to bottom.

Both great cams, just depends on what you're looking for.

·
Registered
473 Posts
what do you think about webb4 with my mods?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I'd run a Web 4 unless I did trail riding and had to lug it a lot, then I'd go 5050. I rode sand, so I didn't spend much time in low rpms.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i do some trails but 90% sand. but from what i can see the webb still has more bottom end than my hc3.

·
Registered
473 Posts
sounds like I will be happy with my purchase of the webb 4 Where all does it need clearance.

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The WEB 4 is a great camshaft and we still use it for a few applications,

not once did i head rider weight mentioned or the head it will be used in...
for most big bore and stock bore builds we use the 5050 cam, if its high compression we will entertain using a web 4 for a lighter rider.
one main deciding factor is the Compression... high duration camshafts feed off of the compression, the more u give them the more they like it...

Basically POWER is CYLINDER PRESSURE, if you run high duration and overlap with a low compression piston the motor will still run well but be a bit lazy due to the lower running cylinder pressure..... but with a smooth power delivery,

consider the rpm range you will be using, the compression, the rider/bike weight and porting....

the feel of the 2 cams are entirely different on how the bike revs and responds

·
Registered
473 Posts
The WEB 4 is a great camshaft and we still use it for a few applications,

not once did i head rider weight mentioned or the head it will be used in...
for most big bore and stock bore builds we use the 5050 cam, if its high compression we will entertain using a web 4 for a lighter rider.
one main deciding factor is the Compression... high duration camshafts feed off of the compression, the more u give them the more they like it...

Basically POWER is CYLINDER PRESSURE, if you run high duration and overlap with a low compression piston the motor will still run well but be a bit lazy due to the lower running cylinder pressure..... but with a smooth power delivery,

consider the rpm range you will be using, the compression, the rider/bike weight and porting....

the feel of the 2 cams are entirely different on how the bike revs and responds
My mods are in my sig and I am 235lbs. What do you think DL?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the posts guys :) im 185lbs. Quad is ridden a good 90% up top in the revs. Currently running what is in my sig which everyone says doesnt have bottom end, yet i have a hell of a time keeping the front end down compared to 450's and the ktms. So im not really looking for more bottom end. Its hard enough launching in 1st gear sitting on the gas tank with my mods in the dunes when drag racing and thats with the "weak" hc3 and stock piston.......
Im lookin for topend power. :) whether i go with a cuervo or re cnc. Just curious if there is any topend gain to be had over the 5050 with a web 4 and true corrected 11.5.1 cp tqs piston?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Web4 has more power from bottom to top than the HC3...I love it for my trails, no lack of power here.
Pat didn't know you were running the webb4. Your loving it huh? Aren't you about my size that is what I was worried about since I'm 235lbs. Got a killer deal so I had to snatch it up 20 hour webb4 for $150. So was really hoping it would work good with my fat ass. Have heard they respond well to a +2 head like mine.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Pat didn't know you were running the webb4. Your loving it huh? Aren't you about my size that is what I was worried about since I'm 235lbs. Got a killer deal so I had to snatch it up 20 hour webb4 for $150. So was really hoping it would work good with my fat ass. Have heard they respond well to a +2 head like mine.
Yep got a real Web4 this time. No issues here...I'm sure a real 5050 would work for me as well but I have no issues lugging the web in really tight trails. I also have a stroker crank so it helps a bit with low end torque.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Coops bike is a 14:1 sb/ss, 54tb, +2 head, DMC's, it made 76hp and can't quite remember the torque. The day we dyno'd it another bike was being run with the same build, but a Webb4 and Sparks XX6 short can. Coops bike made a few ponies more down low, a horsepower more on top, and a little more over rev. I really don't know how much the XX6 made a difference, I ass-ume it breathes the same as the DMC duals. On a stockbore I would run a 5050, on a big bore I would probably run the Webb4. With a lower compression build I'm pretty sure the 5050 would beat the Webb4 everywhere in the powercurve, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Thanks for the posts guys :) im 185lbs. Quad is ridden a good 90% up top in the revs. Currently running what is in my sig which everyone says doesnt have bottom end, yet i have a hell of a time keeping the front end down compared to 450's and the ktms. So im not really looking for more bottom end. Its hard enough launching in 1st gear sitting on the gas tank with my mods in the dunes when drag racing and thats with the "weak" hc3 and stock piston.......
Im lookin for topend power. :) whether i go with a cuervo or re cnc. Just curious if there is any topend gain to be had over the 5050 with a web 4 and true corrected 11.5.1 cp tqs piston?
I'm also 185 lbs. I was running a RE +1 head on my builds.

Try launching in 2nd.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm also 185 lbs. I was running a RE +1 head on my builds.

Try launching in 2nd.
I always start in 2nd with knobbies but with 20 inch 8 paddle haulers it seems to just mouse trap or bog depending on sand conditions. Seemed like 1st gear gave me more wheel spin to get out of the hole than i smack 2nd and im out. Cant get an extended swinger either cause of the other riding i do haha so just trying to do the best i can :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts