Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

so ive been preping my bike for a 250 mile race tomorrow and everytime i tuned it on i could smell some coolant being burned by the header and a little smoke would come out, at first i thought that since some coolant was spilled while topping it off, it started dripping slowly on the header, but yesterday i preassure washed the bike, and when i turned it on and it got hot, there it was a again, the smell and a little smoke.

does this sound to weird or is it something common? i can see no leak from the head gasket, but my mechanical seal on the water pump has to be replaced, just thowing it in there eventhough its far from the header.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Even though I read that you stated there is no head gasket leak, that's where I'd lay my money, head gasket leak. If you replace it (and I would before the race) you may as well throw a piston in there if you haven't already done that.:D Make sure you get an OEM (Yamaha) gasket(s). You'll thank me later.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe its just a very small leak and unnoticable. i cant back out from this race, i drove 10 hours, have spent a lot of money already lodging and expenses, paid the inscription. theres no white smoke coming from the exhaust, so coolant is not getting in the oil or anything. if it is indeed head gasket, what are my chances? should i go for it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts