Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

A good friend of mine is having issues with his 2008 Raptor. It's been happening randomly (not every ride) for a couple of weeks.. What happens is that he will be riding and all of a sudden the lights start to dim and the check engine light comes on (full on, not flashing at all) and then the bike dies. When it happens, he can't start the bike back up, like the battery is dead but it can be started on compression and then it usually won't run well at all, won't keep it's idle, etc.

Since having the problem the first time he has changed his stator and his battery but the problem is still there.. Some days it will run fine and on others at some point it will just die like that and not cooperate. Again, the battery is dead after this deal.

He has no extra accessories on the bike other than a KOSO speedometer and he also has the 5th speed mod and a Dynatek fuel controller (not the revbox, the actual fuel controller).

Any idea what it could be before he rips the whole bike apart and inspects everything electrical?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a Rectifier for it, which is basicly a voltage regulator. It's that part in the right side front wheel well with the fins on it
You know just before I logged on just now I was thinking about that. Will try and report back! Thanks woods

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eh, just gave him a call and he says he thought about it too and changed it last night to no avail... Same exact symptoms. I would have thought it was a short but then again a short wouldn't drain the battery quick like that without melting something right? New battery, new stator, new regulator and still getting the problem... the plot thickens...

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
Eh, just gave him a call and he says he thought about it too and changed it last night to no avail... Same exact symptoms. I would have thought it was a short but then again a short wouldn't drain the battery quick like that without melting something right? New battery, new stator, new regulator and still getting the problem... the plot thickens...
Yeah A dead short would either pop fuses or let the smoke out of some wires or electronics. Hmmm I'll have to think about this one, I'll get in the manual tonight and see if I see anything there.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any luck Woods? Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I say the controller is bad. But thats only me. Does it reset the map on the controller when the battery dies? That might be why when it starts back its not running ok. Another thing also might be the ecu. You guys can change those out from one bike to the other to eliminate this. Oh well its just a tought trying to help you guys out. Makes me think that a wire is touching somwhere and just shorting enough or grounding so the battery goes dead. Vibrations might be causing this on a loose wire. Then again just speculating. Electronics are a pain in the a$$...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I say the controller is bad. But thats only me. Does it reset the map on the controller when the battery dies? That might be why when it starts back its not running ok. Another thing also might be the ecu. You guys can change those out from one bike to the other to eliminate this. Oh well its just a tought trying to help you guys out. Makes me think that a wire is touching somwhere and just shorting enough or grounding so the battery goes dead. Vibrations might be causing this on a loose wire. Then again just speculating. Electronics are a pain in the a$$...
The controller is an older model with analog controls so it can't reset. Like I said earlier, a short powerful enough to drain the battery would toast some wires or fuses for sure so I don't think it would be a short... maybe a wire not connecting properly and failing to give power where there should be, but not a short for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
So whatever it is, its even draining the battery when running! Bizarre so something is not giving back the juice to the batterie and the lights dim then pow nothing check engine light comes on. Ok i bet its the freakin ecu gone bad. Swap it out if ya can i know its a pain but atleast its going to be covered.

Bad idle diming lights = ECU. For me i dont see anything else really. Might be loose wires at that ECU.

Anyhow let me know what you find bud and i hope you find it quick.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It is possible there is a loose ground somewhere as well. I have never heard of it on the raptor itself but I have heard of things like this happening on other fuel injected ATV's. I have personally seen it happen and do exactly this on my outlander 800 and on a polaris sportsman 800. When it won't start has he checked the voltage at the battery itself? This would eliminate it if is something that is actually draining the battery.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check the charging system first...when it's running what's the voltage at the battery?

Something may not be shorting to ground but something may be disconnected, and the battery is dying because there's an issue in the charging system.

·
Registered
415 Posts
when the check engine light goes on, arent you supposed to do some kind of key sequence for it to put out a code? i would guess some kind of wiring issue myself. i am no expert, but you've changed every charging system piece and the ecu and all the sensors are the only electrical parts remaining. tearing the wiring harness out and looking it over is free. it's a pita, but it can eliminate some problems, and while your taking it apart, you will also be able to look at all the connectorsfor any problems. electrical issues suck! :mad: and even more so on the new fi rides.

have you guys tried disconnecting the headlights and every other none essential electrics to try and rule them out as a problem? the way you talk its like it happens when the headlights are on. maybe something is shorting out there?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*UPDATE*

Issue has been identified and fixed. There were 2 wires going to the voltage regulator that were cut and only intermittently connecting. He fixed them up and problem solved!

Thanks all who helped!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
COOL finally im happy for your buddy. Now time to go out and play play play...Yeehaa!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts